1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is coming out really that bad?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alpha78, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Alpha78

Out Status:
    A few people
    My parents recently found out that I was questioning my sexuality. Fortunately they said that they will always love and support me. However, they mentioned that there is a lot of prejudice and hate against lgbt, and wants to make sure that what i am feeling is real. Which made me think, is the reactions from coming out and being public about one's sexuality really that negative? The thoughts of being harassed in the future, in public and in the workplace, really makes me fear coming out. I really want to have a boyfriend and not hide a part of who I am, but will coming out really alter my life that drastically?

2. Canfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It depends on the culture and environment.
    In spite of people being accepting more the idea of lgbt relationship, there are still people who views it negatively, making fun of people who are like that.
    So, I think you should be totally confident and ready to take a big step like that. But after all, the most important thing for you is having your friends and family support, so, you should first be out to the ones you trust most, and then, if ready enough, take the step to be out to everyone( just my opinion).

3. Anaru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In my experience, most reactions have been neutral or positive. I even live in the Bible Belt.

But things could be different for you.

Some people really hate people that aren't straight, and that kind of hate can cost you a job, a friend, etc. So, my advice is to not run around shouting your orientation (whatever it may be) from any rooftops. At the same time, you probably don't have to be secretive about it. If someone asks, and you feel comfortable with them, tell them if you'd like.

4. Alpha78

Out Status:
    A few people
    Aren't there lgbt discrimination laws for the workplace if I lose by job just because I'm bi?

5. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That depends on which nation you live in. I'm in the United States, and while some states do have state laws( or even municipal laws) preventing firing somebody for being LGBT there is currently no federal law preventing this. It would depend on which state/municipality you lived in.

6. Bear101

I'm an adult (43) and most of my friends, I had met through church. Since I've come out, they have stopped talking to me, stopped returning my phone calls, and I've even had a couple wish I were dead. However, my non-Christian friends, don't have a problem with it and have been extremely supportive.

7. Alpha78

Out Status:
    A few people
    Ya I was planning on being open about it but only if someone asked. (I'm not the type of guy that would stereotypically portray as gay) I guess Ill probably just think a bit longer before I come out. The obstacle that would take a while to get over would be finding the courage to do so. :/ Thanks for all the replies!

8. confused1234

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but in my experience, no. I came out in possibly one of the most conservative and homophobic environments imaginable: a college social fraternity. And I've had no problems whatsoever. That's just one data point though, so take it for what it's worth.