1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "Coming Out" Strategy/Conversation

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by chivalrous, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chivalrous

So im not so sure how to put this into words. but exactly how do you come out in a conversation amongst a person. at this point the only possible tactic i can think of is

1: Talking to the person about there past
    2: Bringing up if they had any past relationships
    3: Waiting for them to Return the question
    4: Then You saying you did or didn't (for me it was a short 3 day thing with a girl) then saying but i don't swing that way. and hoping for them to say. ok whatever floats your boat :lol: sorta thing

Because at this point i doubt anyone is going to ask me, so i minus well come up with some sort of elaborate way. I apparently act stereotypically (Personality wise) As it is, which is probably why people don't have the need to ask?

If you have another "Coming Out Strategy" I would like to here it. :slight_smile:

#1 chivalrous, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  2. Anaru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's how I did it. It evolved into a guessing game until my best friends guessed correctly. I think they were more surprised that I had the guts to tell them rather than that I was telling them I'm gay.

After the first time, it was a lot easier to tell other people directly. But maybe that's just me? =]

3. chivalrous

when you tell other people directly. do you just insert it randomly in amongst your conversation. or do you just say "there something i need to tell you" and then say it?

i feel like this is some professor oak thing "there is a time and place for everything" and that there is some sort of set conditions you must pass before you do it

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've done the "there's something that I need to tell you" way and the inserting it into the conversation way. The "something that I need to tell you" method can be a bit more awkward, and it's a bit more scary.

Another method that I use is to bring up an LGBT news topic and then use that as a stepping stone to smoothly transition into coming out. This way, I'm not as freaked out, and it's a little bit less awkward.

You just need to find what way you think will work best for you, and then you can work from there :slight_smile: It took me a while to figure out the way that I come out to people in person.

5. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I find the "There's something I need to tell you, no no don't worry it's all good..." approach is usually for people you've known for a while, and that probably guessed incorrectly (or based on little white lies you may have committed) that you were straight. When in a conversation with people you hardly know (friends of closer friends at a party for example), it's easier to slip it in a conversation

6. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a conversation with a female friend about which same-sex actors we each found most attractive, which later led to me telling her that I like lots of male actors because I'm bi.

7. Canfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I did exactly the same way, and after the first one it was easier for me too, so It's not just you.

8. Anaru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I sorta did it like Brad. Except I say it more like "there's something that I'd like to tell you." I usually engage them in conversation a bit to build up to it. Just running up to people and blurting it out would be weird, imo. xD

#8 Anaru, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  9. welshboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The first time i told someone directly was one of my friends,i was having a conversation and we where talking about expressions and sayings and i said "do u know the saying,the best men are ever gay or taken,well in not taken" it tooke them a good few seconds to get it

10. ManchesterJbre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    With the people I came out to I did use the phrase 'I need to tell you something...' and automatically they assume it will be something negative and I couldn't spit it out - they asked 'What is it?' over and over again and I just sort of laughed and panicked before just saying 'I like guys...' before rushing to say 'but i'm still me, still the person you know!' It is scary to tell them but if you do tell them directly just remember that their reaction might not be indicative of their true feelings towards you being a part of the LGBT community. One of my closest friends sort of fell on the floor and wouldn't believe it for a while and I had to continually tell her I wasn't lying - it was terrifying but we're closer than ever now. :slight_smile:

11. chivalrous

I am stealing that one :grin:

Also thankyou for all your tips and advice i shall take them on board! :grin:

12. Antiluck

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I was talking with a friend of mine and told him that I wanted to have a LGBT/Alice in Wonderland themed party...so that I could have little cakes shaped like dicks that said “eat me”

it took him a minute but he got it asked me if I was gay I said yes and then I was teased very much
    he was very accepting though <3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.