1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long to be settled on a label before coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wontwalkblindly, Jan 24, 2014.

1. wontwalkblindly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know that you're not supposed to come out right after you realize that you're queer. You're supposed to wait awhile and make sure. Since sometimes, it actually is a phase. How long should I wait?
    I've told a few friends that I'm "something like bisexual" and two others that Im questioning (they asked about my sexuality). ....now, I can't find a label that works better than bi. ... How much time should I wait before its okay to come out to more people?
    Also, what is the best way to deal with someone not accepting you? Like they get mad, or cry, or something... What are you supposed to do?
    Thanks..

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    However long you want. If you are comfortable telling people now, tell them now, if you would rather wait, then wait. If you would rather not tell anybody and let them find out on there own, you know what, that's fine too. A good guideline is when you reach the point where you can look in the mirror and say "I am *label*" and it feels natural.

As for when people don't accept you, that really depends who it is. Do you have someone in mind or is it a 'just-in-case' sort of question?

3. NotSureWhatIam

Don't worry about labeling yourself, I say gay but I really only mean mostly gay. As my sig says, love who you love.

#3 NotSureWhatIam, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  4. wontwalkblindly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess it's more of a just-in-case question, but I've already came out to most of my friends, so mostly family now I guess