1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out on my birthday?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Daydream Harp, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Daydream Harp

So as some of you might know, I fear that my parents would be unsupportive about my gender identity and therefor I don't dare coming out to them truly. Well I sort of did with my mother soon 2 years ago, but she didn't believe me then and I haven't dared doing much since then.

There is also the issue that they say they wanna "help me have the best life possible no matter what", with my mother seeing being transgender as something "nobody should have to go through", so it seems she would try to "help me be happy with my current biological sex" instead of supporting my gender.

I wonder though, what if I come out to them on my birthday? I am turning 20 in about 1-2 months, would be a big-ish occasion and my day, so maybe they would be more forgiving if I do it on that day? Or am I being naive and reaching for hope that isn't there?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you ever had a big argument on your birthday before? I can only see it working better than any other day if your parents go out of their way to not argue on your birthday.

Having said that, why not do it...it gives you that lovely opportunity to give that incredibly cliche speech about how the best present they could ever give is their love and support through your transition

3. Daydream Harp

Well I had a pretty nasty one once, so I guess not... though the speech thing might work possibly

4. Naunet

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I don't have experience with this, but I might have to soon.

And one way I think it helps, is if you mention the situation to your parents but in another light. What I mean is telling them about this person who this happened to, and then see their reaction. They might know instantly is you and go from there or not.

Either way you'll see a reaction. I wish you the best.

5. Daydream Harp

Thanks, though I don't think that would work very well. I am very bad at lying and I think they would figure out instantly.