1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding other gay kids at school

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by XTREMEZish, Jan 24, 2014.

1. XTREMEZish

Ok so I'm still in middle school and no one at my school is gay. I am not out but I want to find someone else who is gay who I can talk to about it. I am out to my dad and five of my friends. Only four of them are in school. I can't really talk to them about it because they are all singularly focused on girls and they don't really react to me being gay. I am planning on coming out to a big group of about 20 people. I expect word to get out and I want that to happen so I don't have to go from person to person telling them that I'm gay. Also there are a few girls who have a crush on me and I am obviously not into them. I want to come out but I don't know how the school as a hole would react and who else is gay so I can talk to them. How do I find other gay people do I tell them first and then ask or just ask.

2. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since your dad knows, and you're obviously not driving yet, how about finding a PFLAG meeting near you? Unless, that is, you're really comfortable kinda coming out to everyone at once. You might want to think on that awhile... Is your dad accepting? Maybe he can help you find someone to talk to? Maybe set up a counseling appointment with someone who deals with this issue, who can give you access to resources where you live. And is there a GSA at your local high school?

#2 StillAround, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  3. welshboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm 14 and i was pretty much in the same situation as you i didn't know anyone else who was gay and i wanted to talk to someone else in my school who was. but then i fought it would be good if i was the first person to come out so i came out the week before the school holidays and to be honest almost everyone doesn't really care ,you make yourself think that everyone will make a big deal of it but they don't .instead of you asking other people for help, come out first and people will come up to you help

4. XTREMEZish

My dad is excepting. He is actually a therapist so thats why I came out to him early on and thanks for the feedback.

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Trust me, there are other gays, but they're not obvious. The statistics are that there may be as much as 10% people who are LGBT, so if your school has even 100 students, there will definitely be other gay boys.