1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am a rap producer/rapper

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by robeproductions, Jan 25, 2014.

1. robeproductions

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would like to know if I would be accepted if I come out

2. Beware Of You

I honestly have no idea I guess someone who is actually involved in Rap would know

3. Cigsmoker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A small part of me to just come out be who you truly are but I know its much more complicated than that.

4. AKTodd

Some people will and some won't. Rap isn't my thing, but after reading your post, I did a quick google and turned up the following:

Gay Rappers

5 Gay Rappers Who Are “Better Than Everybody” / Queerty

Plus a host of other links as well. Gay rappers exist and apparently some are doing pretty well or at least getting good buzz for their music.

Ultimately you may want to consider other factors such as the positive effect of being true to yourself and being honest about yourself to everyone instead of having to hide.

Hope this helps,

Todd

5. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As long as you don't rap about penises and how cute they'd feel inside you, you should be fine.

6. Beantown

Beantown Guest

Nicki Minaj says she thinks she'll see the first big gay rapper in her lifetime.

7. Daydream Harp

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis had a huge hit song about gay rights called "Same Love" so at least it seems that pro-gay rappers are getting more accepted, so hopefully that means gay rappers will as well. But yeah, brace yourself for some kids who "want to be gangsta" who will be less than nice about it, though simply not bringing it up in the studio if producing for someone else or during a collaboration might be a way to avoid that.

8. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The question for me finally came down whether I want to be accepted as someone I pretend to be, or as who I am. My signature says it all for me...

But each of us lives in our own unique closet, and the answer may take some time to find. It took me most of my life, so who am I to talk?

Good luck on your search.

9. apostrophied

As long as you keep on rapping about women's butts and boobs and how fine they are and how much you'd wanna do them, etc, I think you'll be ok. :wink:

In all honesty and seriousness, though, I have no clue, but I wish you the best. Surely some people are going to take issue with it, but it would probably be the same in the military or a construction job, for example.

10. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well hip hop is so heterosexual in its exterior but prison gang culture is inherently very homosexual. Unfortunately what happens in prison stays in prison but I'm sure there are gay men who come out after prison terms. I'm quite sure there are gay rappers but probably very few they can come out due to image and street cred (amazing how many "fake thug" images there are out there. Rick Ross and Drake I love but they are about as fake thugs as it comes).

Put it this way, rap is similar to sports in that it is a heteronormative culture that promotes macho and masculine behavior, which is irrelevant based on sexual preference, but is stereotyped in those cultures.

So while everyone hopes you do, I'd love to hear your work and be open, but I totally understand why you wouldn't in that industry.