1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The right age...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LostInAlex, Jan 25, 2014.

1. LostInAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Is there really a right or wrong age to come out? I'm 13 1/2 and have been questioning/gay for about 2/3 a year. I have told only my closest friends and they are all very supportive. Some have different views, some say it may just be a phase, yet all the girl-friends just congratulate me for being who I am. I'm confused and i don't know when to tell my parents. I don't want to tell anyone else, because who knows, maybe it is a phase, yet i feel it isn't. I'm just unsure if i should tell my parents about my feelings or 'wait it out', seeing how my teen years pan out. I am a year 8 student, and am worried how people at school would take it, i mean, jokes about gays and lesbians are so common... Is there a right or wrong age?

2. Querying

I opened a thread like this about two days ago. Some of the answers there may help you find an answer.

Good luck!

3. LostInAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thankyou

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the age is different for everyone. I realized I was different around 8, and was questioning at 11, and knew I was gay at 13. For some people they know by the time they're 8 or 9, and some people it can take many years to realize. About LGBT acceptance at school, I was outed to my school in a rural area and most people didn't give two shits. Sure, some people are ignorant and will have a problem with it, but you don't need those people in your life anyways. Depending where you live will influence your acceptance. If you live in the Northeast US or the West Coast, you'll typically be more accepted, while in the deep south a and Midwest, results may differ. Also, how big your school is could be a factor as well. I'd check to see if your school has a GSA.

When it comes to parents, I would test the waters a bit. See what they think of LGBT people before you flat out tell them. Final thing, make sure that you're ready. And if things don't go to well with your parents or anyone else, The Trevor Project is a great place to turn, and also tell your parents no matter what to look up PFLAG.

5. LostInAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thankyou, I have tested my parents, my dad, although I know he would accept me, im unsure because he always makes remarks about gays (Jokes)

6. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone makes jokes about gays, including gays. So do lawyers about lawyers, and doctors about doctors. Unless there is a vicious nature about them or hate talk to go with it, I would not use that as a reason to affect your decision. "I know he would accept me" is the key phrase here. The right age is when you feel it is right, and you are fairly certain about how you feel and have accepted your sexual identity.