1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to tell close friend?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by WearyWanderer, Jan 26, 2014.

1. WearyWanderer

I've been trying to build up the courage to tell a good friend over text, but I'm never able to transition the conversation. But I also keep on wondering if text is the best way. Should I wait to do it in person? If you think text messaging is ok, then what are some good ways to say it? I think I should preface it some way but I'm not sure how. I'm really struggling with this. Thanks.

2. welshboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I told a friend by text and now every things fine but i advise against it.it was extremely awkward the next week in school and i avoided her if you tell someone in person you can talk properly also she didn't even belive me to start because it was a text message. If you don't want to tell them in person i would plan to meet up and then the day your meeting them tell them over text and when you meet up you can talk about it

3. Well, I recently came out to my best friend of over 20 years. I personally think it's best in person, he took it hard at first and needed time to sort out his emotions. He eventually came around and we're best buddies again. :slight_smile:

The reason I say in person is better is because you can talk it out right there, by text you can't really tell how they're feeling. Ultimately, it's your choice. Come out the way you feel more comfortable with.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are pros and cons to coming out both ways. With a text, it more impersonal, and there can be a long wait time sometimes. Coming out in person is more personal, but it is way more stressful, since it can be hard to say.

Just come out in the way that you feel most comfortable. I've come out via facebook, facebook messages, email and in person. I would say if you don't think that you can say it in person, then coming out by text is fine :slight_smile:

5. Dia

Dia

Well, I come out twice in person and only once via facebook. I think that via facebook it went pretty well, but I didn't talked a lot about it with that person afterwards. When I came out in person the first time I think it was very uncomfortable till I said it. My amazing cousin took it pretty well and she made me feel so incredible about it! It was awesome!!!One of those moments in my life that I will never forget.
    The second time I came out in person it was my best friend. I told her on Friday, and it also felt very awkward before I could say it. When I did she was shocked and she even gave me the "Maybe it's because you don't have much experience yet" reaction. But still she said that she was ok with it and that she just needed some time to process it. It was a very anxious and nerve-wracking weekend I must say. However on Monday, she told me that she is totally supporting me and that it was the first shock that made her say the usual it's just a face stuff. And that made the hard weekend totally worth it.
    So what I'm trying to say is that you can tell your friend via text and it probably be just fine. But I would never trade the reactions and the warm support that I received afterwards. So think about it :wink:

6. Destiel

I've only ever come out to two of my close friends so far, and I did them both in person. I think its better to get what you're trying to say out better and have them understand in that kind of situation better. Its hard as hell, I was in tears by the end of it to one of my friends who I wasn't sure if I should tell but in the end she was totally cool with it and I could explain better my sexuality. My other friend I just said it and she was like "Sweet man, I'm bi by the way" and it was so much nerve build up we just kind of looked at each other and busted up laughing. It was so much nicer to tell them face to face. And you can get very pointedly across to them that you will have no interest in them just because you can have feelings to their sex if they are the gender you are interested in, unless you do like them, then you know, that's a totally different story.
    It takes a lot of courage and build up but if they're your good friends, they'll understand. But whatever you want to do and what ever makes you comfortable, what was comfortable for me may not be for you. Just do it when you're ready and however it seems fit. :thumbsup:

7. XTREMEZish

You need to do it in person for close friends. I know it is hard but you will regret it if you don't do it in person. Also try doing it in a private environment that both you and your friend feel comfortable in.

8. WearyWanderer

Yeah okay I think after reading some of what you guys are saying it's best to tell this friend in person. Thanks for the responses.

9. wandergirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    i did it via facebook a few times, but only cause these friends are really far away. i was able to write a good message so it was all ok.
    i think some points that were important in the message was telling them how hard it was for me to say that, and that their support was really important for me. then i asked them to tell me later what they thought of it.
    coming out face to face offers u more support and u can explain better. one friend started giving me advice on coming out right away, which was an awesome reaction. another one acted in a really homophobic way. i don't think she's accepted yet.

Maybe rethinking of everything you wanna say before you meet the person is a good way of getting prepared.
    Good luck!

10. purples

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just recently told one of my best friends who had to move to another part of the state via text message that I was lesbian...she took it very well and we are still the same ol friends we were before..nothing has really changed. :slight_smile:

11. sammy1

Honestly I've NEVER came out to any one in person...yet. I've told a total of 4 friends via text message and they are all still my friends. I only mention my sexuality when the convo happens to come up. Like for example the last friend I told, I told her because we were talking bout me moving out one day and relationships and dating etc so I just mentioned to her that 'it's hard to date when you are in the closet' in a text. that's how I came out to her and that was several mons ago and now whenever I go to her place she is ALLWAYS the one to bring the topic up lol because I guess it interests her because she has never had any LGBT friends before.

---------- Post added 29th Jan 2014 at 04:51 PM ----------

For me coming out via text is the easiest and it wasn't aqward the next time I saw her. But she is also a really accepting person and I had that feeling about her and that was another reason I came out to her because I felt like she would still be my friend after telling her and I was right. So if u choose to tell someone thru text it may be easier than u think? IMO telling someone in person would make me too nervous!

12. Gort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, I just came out for the first time to a friend of about 10ish years yesterday. I wanted to do it in person, but I also knew that if I kept just hoping to drop the news sometime when we were hanging out, it wasn't going to happen. What I did was text her saying I needed to get together and talk. I think going in with your friend expecting something helps, because I was nervous enough that I still needed some prodding (granted, she was the first person I told I was gay, so that added to the nerves).

Honestly - I think it was way more nerve wracking to do it in person, and I probably sounded like a babbling idiot leading up to coming out, but I wouldn't have traded it for anything. And I think it prepped me well for reactions of others in a way that you can't do if you aren't face-to-face. But do whatever you are most comfortable with, since, really, it's about your life and happiness (that sounded corny, but I stand by it).

13. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out to my best friend via text and it was the first person I came out to. It has its advantages but ultimately you will have to talk to that person face to face... After I told him his immediate response was "r u kidding me" so I was instantly regretting it. I responded by saying I'm the same person, nothings changed about me, I hope nothing changes between us. And then he asked me if I wanted to talk in person so I went over there and talked to him and he was super accepting and we've actually gotten a lot closer.