1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Come out without making a big deal about it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sandshoes, Jan 26, 2014.

1. sandshoes

So yeah, I'm a quite feminine girl and I don't think anyone who knows me can tell that I'm a lesbian. I've only been dating guys and so on, so everyone assume that I'm straight even though I've come to the conclusion that I'm not.

I've come out to a couple of friends who I knew wouldn't react weird or anything, but my family has no idea. The thing is that I don't want to make a big deal out of it, I don't want to go all "sit down guys, I have something to tell you about myself..." because I don't actually think it's that much of a thing to have a different sexuality. It's a bit like having a different hair colour or whatever, and I wouldn't sit down and have a talk with them about my dyeing my hair red.

I'm not really worried about them reacting in a bad way, they are so supportive and my country is very accepting in general so that's not the problem. I guess I could wait until I get a girlfriend and be like "mom, dad, meet my girlfriend!" but maybe they would think that I dropped a bomb on them in that case. I really have no idea how they would react.

I think the best reaction ever to come out would be like "Okay, good for you" and that's it. No big deal, no front page of the newspaper, no having to call all the relatives, no being super mega supportive everything rainbow,etc.

I wouldn't care so much about coming out if it weren't for the fact that my parents are sometimes talking about boys and joking about where/how I'd meet one etc. I've said during those conversations that "I'm not looking for a boyfriend" but they just think that I don't want a relationship. So how should I let it slip into the conversation that I'm interested in girls without changing me mood in the room?

Anyone else feeling the same way?

2. JustKat

I sat down with my parents (when I was 32) for supper and said I needed to talk. I said 'I think if I ever get married it'll to be a woman.'

3. slimred

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I happened to only do this a few hours ago... I told my Dad that when I eventually meet someone and settle down it's probably not going to be with a girl. Left him to work out the rest, it's hardly rocket science :slight_smile: I think it will always be slightly awkward however it's done but that's the least eventful way I could think to break the news.

#3 slimred, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014