1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Prep.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LOVEjames, Jul 1, 2008.

1. LOVEjames

I'm attending a community college in the fall, and I'm totally unprepared. Like, I applied to the college, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get in. I'm not sure of what to expect, and what financial aid to apply for, where to apply for it or anything like that. I'm getting my GED at the end of the month, and I'm sortakinda prepared or that, but other than that, I'm like... blarg. I need some college planning. Since I dropped out of high school, I didn't get the planning that most Seniors get, and I'm definitely feeling it.

So, does anyone have any advice at all? Like... o.o I'd really appreciate it.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could go onto their website and look up the information and resources that they have on financial aid (the kinds of aid provided, requirements and duration of support). Usually, colleges will also provide the information where to send in the application and the deadline for it.

For your academic stuff, (assuming you already have chosen your programme) check out the programme requirements and make a list of the courses that you need to take and the ones that are optional. Then look at which courses have prerequisites. These courses will usually be the ones you'll be taking in your first couple of terms.

If you haven't chosen a programme yet, think about what would interest you. Go through their website or information brochures. Maybe ask them if they could also send you some information if you can't find it on their website.

In terms of planning, what might also help try making an appointment with a counselor who specializes in academic advising. He or she will also be able to give you more information about programs and help you in selecting a programme that you would like to enroll in.

Hope this helps! If you need more info, let me know.

#2 Mirko, Jul 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In short, what Asteroid said. :slight_smile:

Also, just mentally prepare yourself for "classrooming" again. It can take a bit of time to get back into that "sitting here for an hour plus while someone tells me about stuff" mode.

And don't kinda sorta prepare for the GED. REALLY prepare for it. Go KILL it. I've tutored enough GED students to say that the biggest problem is aiming too low. They say, "I'm pretty sure I can pass it". Which is like trying to jump a chasm, and aiming for a spot JUST on the other side. No - aim further than that. That way, if you end up falling a bit of your goal, you won't fall in. :slight_smile:

Lex