1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What am I supposed to say, exactly?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by swan32145, Jan 27, 2014.

1. swan32145

swan32145 Guest

It's hard to believe it's taken me so long to realize I'm gay (and other things, but best start simple), and being eighteen I think it's time I came out. It gets tiresome, pretending to be strait when your simply not. I've never even dated before. I'm not gay just for the sake of sex either, I've always- always- had a romantic attraction to men. So, I'm not even remotely interested in women, except as friends. My parent just keep bugging me about getting a girlfriend and getting laid, but I've been interested in boys my whole life. My old stepfather found out about my homosexuality when I was still a kid and was pretty mean to me about it. Anyway, the problem isn't in the coming out itself, but more how exactly to go about it. I'm puzzled and if I don't do something quick I think my head might explode. Help would be much appreciated, please.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well what do you WANT to say?

Coming out doesn't have to be this big thing. If you want your friends to stop telling you to get a girlfriend you COULD just turn around and say "Dude, I'm gay..."

Obviously it depends on WHO you want to tell, WHY you want to tell them and HOW they will react.

3. slimred

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd advise you come out first to someone who you trust and is very likely going to accept and support you. Then you have people to talk to before telling anyone who may not be so receptive.

A good start with anyone you know really well is to say you've got something on your mind and get them to ask what, then slowly start talking. Even if you don't say outright "I'm gay", you could say something like I said to my Dad - "you need to know that when I do eventually find someone and settle down, it's not going to be with a girl".

Good luck, hope that helps and you can find the courage to confide in someone. Remember there's no deadline for coming out, do it at your own pace. I'm 39 and only told my Dad yesterday, although I wouldn't necessarily advise waiting as long as I did :slight_smile:

#3 slimred, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Start with a friend and tell them that you want to talk and tell them something personal about yourself if they will keep it to themselves for now. When they say they will, just tell them that you have realized that you don't have any interest in dating girls, and feel more comfortable around boys. When they ask you if you are telling them that you are gay, just tell them yes. It really doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

5. Batmanishere

Well, I just came out to my best friend and said, "Hey, I'm bi.". It was great because I could get it out before I freaked out and my friend totally understood.