1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe a stupid reason for being in the closet....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by megaloveme, Jan 27, 2014.

1. megaloveme

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm still in the closet because if I told my mom I was a lesbian, she would cry. For sure. I wouldn't be rejected or disowned, and not a whole lot would change between me and my family. I just know it would make her cry. Just like when she caught me skipping school at 14, and when I told her I thought I was pregnant, and when she called me out for smoking marijuana. I have a close relationship with my mom, but I hate when I feel like she's disappointed in me. And when she cries? It's awful and heartbreaking! She's always done her best and she was always good to me.

So anybody else closeted because of anything other than fear of rejection?

2. XTREMEZish

I was but here is the thing. Your mom is friends what what she thinks you are not what you are and she should except you if you both love each other.

3. megaloveme

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Nah, my sexuality isn't really a factor in my relationship with my mom. She just wants a different life for me. We talk about like everything. Almost, anyway. She lives a conservative and religious lifestyle, but there's no way she wouldn't accept that part of me. Being gay isn't the only part of who I am. I like to do other things besides sex with girls. I like cooking, and video games, and I have a very sacrastic and sometimes morbid sense of humor. So liking girls isn't a huge detail, really. Just about as big as the other aspects of my personality. She knows who I am, just not who I want to bed.

It would make her sad to hear that this is the lifestyle I prefer. I should have better clarified when I said disappointed.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "So anybody else closeted because of anything other than fear of rejection?"

You realise disappointment and rejection are VERY different, don't you?

It's probably worth remembering that just like everyone else in the world, 90% of what you have done and will do in your life will disappoint your parents in some way, and a significant amount of things will make them cry, even if you don't realise it.

If you don't feel you need to tell her, then that's fine, you don't need to, but don't let that PREVENT you from doing it if you feel you have to!