1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I told someone, why am I so angry?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Batmanishere, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Batmanishere

I told my best friend about me being bi a week or so ago. Now I've been short and antisocial around her. I do this subconsciously, and I want to keep being friends with her but for some reason I'm really angry. I still don't entirely accept who I am... Help me

2. Nick07

I think it is because you feel vulnerable now. You are afraid and you feel like you gave them the power over you. And the anger is there to mask the fear and lack of confidence.
    Have you ever heard the "the dog that is barking will not bite" thing?

3. Destiel

Have they acknowledged that you are? Sometimes people over acknowledge it or not enough. I'm actually kind of upset at my friend right now because I told her - she was cool with it - and now she's pushing it under the rug. It may be that she hasn't seemed to show she knows as much as you feel she should, or understands. She shouldn't treat you differently - I'm not saying she should - but maybe its just annoying that she isn't really doing anything or expressing anything about it? You may be aggravated that she hasn't shown any sign of expressing she knows and is okay with it, maybe it feels to you that she's just shoving it away, that you actually are no different when you want her to see that you are but at the same time aren't. Maybe she isn't acknowledging you enough, and you feel aggravated because of it? I'm not too sure how to explain it but I know that is the feeling of aggregation I have to one on my own friends. But this may only be if that is the position you feel you're in. And to deal with it if it is the cause? I'm not too sure other than to talk to her about it, and I know you may not want to, neither do I. But to me this seems like it is a plausible this is how you feel. If not ignore me :icon_bigg

4. confused1234

That's pretty normal I think. I went through the same thing after I came out for the first time. It was a combination of embarrassment, shame, and regret that made me act that way. Eventually I realized that the guy I told cared much less than I did, and that helped me get over those feelings.

5. girlonfire

I did the same thing. I regretted telling my first person IMMENSELY. Just don't let it get between your friendship. Don't worry, it'll go away soon :slight_smile:

6. Batmanishere

Thank you all. I agree our friendship has gotten better. She has managed to convince me to tell some other of my super close friends and they've all been great. Thankyou guys for helping me be who I am

7. WeWillOvercome

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations on coming out! The process can be long and tedious, and even though you have feelings of anger, it's nothing to fret about. Everything will get better in time. It seems as if your friend is willing to help you accept it even further. I don't believe she would have you tell your super close friends also if she was unsure of their reaction. Slowly you are building a backbone of friends who will support you through it all. Great job! ^_^

8. Cigsmoker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Batmanishere!

Yes, first of all...congratulations on having the courage to come out to your bestfriend. It means that you trust her enough to share with her this news. :slight_smile:

Secondly, I think you should feel a little relieved that she didn't turn away from you when you told her that. I have heard stories [from my friends] about their friends who stopped talking to them after they told them their secrets. Its not easy and it can be pretty shocking to them, initially. So kudos to your friend for being so accepting!

Thirdly, about your feelings. I think its pretty normal. All the inner-struggles and coming out process can take an emotional toll on a person. It may be stemming from somewhere deeper but its good that you are acknowledging this emotion. Just try to give it time and maybe the anger might go away eventually. Just look on the positive side of things and be thankful you didn't lose a friend over your revelation.

Hope this helps in any way.

Cheer up!
    Cigsmoker [Sam]