1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CheshireCat, Jan 28, 2014.

1. CheshireCat

Hello...so I am pansexual, and I have a girlfriend...the only problem is my parents are homophobic and I feel like they would surely kick me out of the house or try to move me away from her as far as possible. We've been dating for a year and a half now...and all I hear at home when I ask them about homosexuality is how it's a sin and that that person would go to hell...I'm not sure what to do because I feel like it's so hard to hide it and even if they didn't kick me out I would be sent to counseling to "fix" it even though that's impossible. But if I keep holding it in I feel like I'm trapped and have no where to go. I feel ashamed because I keep having to tell my girlfriend not to tell anyone about it even though her dad knows and is totally ok with it. I'm not sure what to do...help?

2. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are already in hell, so don't worry about that, just how to get out of it. The best way to run away from home is to go to college, and have your parents pay for it. You don't say how old you are, but most kids leave for college at around 18. Start making your plans and study hard, so you can go to a good school, in a liberal part of the country, far away from where you are now.

3. IJustWantToLove

Hi CheshireCat =)
    I'd say as long as you're living at home and are dependent on your parents it would probably be best to not come out to them yet, since you're pretty sure they wouldn't react too well to this piece of information.
    I understand that you want to come out because you feel like you owe it to your girlfriend or something, but you also have to take into consideration how your life would turn around from this point.
    I would bet your girlfriend prefers having you around and keeping it a secret than not being allowed to see you at all or seeing you suffering from pressure put on you by your parents.
    I hope your parents will come around eventually and be more acceptable towards the LGBT Community and you'll be able to talk to them, but I wouldn't rush into things...

4. CheshireCat

Alright, thanks. :slight_smile: What happens if they find out accidentally?

5. katwat

Try not to stress over the IFs and MAYBEs. Do what Yossarian says and plan and work hard for an independent future. Do well in school. If you can get a job, save as much money as you can. Enjoy your girlfriend and the support of her father. Enjoy the support of your sister and friend that already know. Live your life as happily and as safely as you can. If your parents do find out before you are ready then deal with that situation at that time as best as you can. If you spend all your time worrying about what might happen your will be missing out on the good things that are actually happening for real for your right now.

Good luck.