1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out in highschool?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TerraNova, Jan 30, 2014.

1. TerraNova

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm bisexual, and I've been thinking of being more open about it. I'm out to a few close friends who have taken it extremely well, but I don't expect everyone to react the way they did. I know their are a lot of taboos about bisexuality and I don't want people to be repulsed by the idea of being friends with me because of who I'm attracted to. Does any one have experience with coming out in highschool? what did you have to deal with? how did people react? did they judge you from your sexuality before even meaning you? I'd like to know as much as possible so I know what I'd be getting into if I decide to be more open. :help:

Thank you :slight_smile:

2. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

I tried to come out in highschool but was too scared but people knew I was because I had crushes on boys and girls

3. XRay

In my opinion it's better not to come out in highschool to everyone in your school, the kids are not that mature at that age.. If you know your highschool is gay friendly so yeah why not, but if you are the only person who is going to be out and you have no idea how people are going to react, it's better to wait with it

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is my anecdotal observation today that gay girls are less likely to be harassed or bullied than gay boys, but there is always the potential for being socially ostracized from the other straight girls in the immature setting of high school. People didn't "come out" when I was in high school; there was nothing to come out TO; we didn't even know we were "IN".

5. lovely lesbian

Do whatever you feel is right for you and it you think I don't wanna come out in school then you don't have to

6. ComingClean

ComingClean Guest

It's interesting what Yossarian is saying about gay boys being more likely to be harassed or bullied. It seems like all straight girls want a gay best friend but some straight girls don't want anything to do with gay girls.
    They have this stupid idea in their heads that if you're interested in girls, you're interested in them. Well you'd never assume that they were interested in every guy that they came into contact with. That's not how it works. You're attracted to who you're attracted to and hopefully you're not attracted to anybody that arrogant.
    In my experience, people were more curious than homophobic. Prepare for the inevitable questions and don't take it personally. No doubt some of your peers are trying to figure out their own sexualities.