1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the hardships

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by cm25, Jul 2, 2008.

1. cm25

cm25 Guest

s I was looking through the forums I noticed something uniform for teenagers, most of em post after dark such as when their parents are asleep. I know that that I'd what I am forced to do and I do it on my iPod touch because my mom has a program installed on my computer that tracks all the websites I go to and when. It sucks because these are really inconvenient to type on. I thnx that this shows the hrdships of gay and lesbians who havnt told they're parents theyrr secret yet and don't want to let them find out. Comment on this and add stuff I'm curious what people think about this.

2. Sam

Sam

When I still lived with my parents I used to wait until they were asleep to go to gay related sites even though I had my own computer I was paranoid that one of them would sneak up behind me. I was really depressed and didn't sleep very much so I would literally spend from about 11pm til 4 or 5 in the morning on the computer looking for advice about being gay and coming out.

3. limepink

Largest city in the second smallest state
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You know exactly why I'm on here at 12:57am.
    Well I would probably be awake and on the internet anyway but still.

Unfortunately I'm going to boarding school starting this fall so I won't have any privacy (also we have strictly enforced lights out times). I'll be totally out there, but still, it's pretty awkward to have people looking over your shoulder when you're on ANY website

4. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yeah, my mom likes to come and watch what I'm doing on the computer, very awkward, I talked to her about it once and she basically said that if I have nothing to hide then it shouldn't bother me and if it does, too bad, it's her responsibility. I'm out to her and all, but I don't need her poking around, it's just weird, so when she's there I stick to fb and email, I also always have boh in my tabs so I can close whatever and go to them if needed

5. LOVEjames

... o.o You're typing on your iPod touch? Dear Lord... I could never do that on my iPod Touch. >_> The little buttons are tiny on there.

6. interstella

and THATS why I'm usually up until midnight... And your right the iPod touch is hard to type on, but its much easier in landscape mode :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. cm25

cm25 Guest

ya its so hard to type one but its the only way for me to go on any gay related site witout my mom findin out I'm gay. And ya its rily tiny but easier on landscape. I stay up till like 4 in the morning to cuz I'm looking for advice and all that stuff. Thank god its summer or I would be flunking school haha. (not that I would do great anyway)(bumbumbum) hahaha

8. RGX Guy

RGX Guy Guest

lol. i do the same thing.
    i just do it at night so i can still have a non computer related social life during the day.

being lgbt is something stressful!

9. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I stay up very late anyway, so it's no problem for me, and our family computer is positioned in a way that you can't see the screen unless you walk all the way into the room. It's also on the bottom floor of the house, meaning you have to walk down a long flight of creaky stairs to get to it, so I can usually tell when someone is coming and close things out in time. Still, it's annoying to have to pay half my attention to the computer and half to watching out for people, so I get your point...sort of.

10. myra

My mom knows I'm bi, but she flipped out when i told her. I usually post when she's sleeping or at work because if she knew i was on a website "Supporting Fags" as she'd say, *rolls eyes* (she's so nice! gag.), she'd probably kill me. Or kick me out. I don't want that. I have 5 weeks till i move into my dorm. I don't want to find a place to live for that amount of time.

I know what you mean by them tracking what sites you've been too. I just recently got my mom to take the parental controls off my screenname and give me my password. Before, she had to log me on. Tons of my websites were blocked (couldn't get onto myspace even or anything related to GLBT stuff. And every site i went to, it sent an email to her, telling her the content of the site, how long i was on it and what i clicked on. It sucked.

11. silentsound

I know exactly what you mean. I post in the daytime (like right now) as long as my door is shut and locked. Even though I have my own computer in my own room I close it off my tab browser when I walk away (whereas I just keep my facebook, blog, email, igoogle, etc open all the time) It's very true, I hadn't really thought of how this applies to other people before, but it's so true.

12. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Wow, some of you have it bad. Thankfully I have my own computer so I don't need to worry about my parents spying on me... but of course I do. I'm just paranoid like that. If they ever found my accounts on various sites, or EC for instance, even the tame ones, I would implode with annoyance.

The internet is like my private space away from them, which they can't seem to understand. I can express myself freely without worrying about what they would think. Whenever I tell my Mum I don't really want her to look me up on some site she starts on a rant about how I need to realise that the internet is dangerous and not private and there are loads of pedos out there who will do me much more harm than her. *rolls eyes* I know she just cares about me, but she completely misses the point.

13. revolutionrock

I have my own computer as well... though I still clear my tracks after visiting *cough* certain sites.

I've done a lot to make sure I can't be Googled. I have a relatively large web presence, and though EC is the only GLBT site I'm on, I like my privacy. I don't want people to check me out.

That is rough though, guys. If you're that worried, I would suggest getting a jump drive and loading a portable version of firefox or something on there.

:slight_smile:

14. silentsound

Generally I find the trick to dealing with parents is to tell them just enough that they feel like they know everything, but not enough that you can actually be bothered by it. I know my parents snoop on my computer, but they know that I have a facebook and a youtube account; I figure this stops them from deliberately searching for my other online presences, such as my blog and EC. Sometimes I think the closet is more trouble than it's worth *sigh*

15. James

Yeah, I'm usually on here around 9:00 pm until 4:00 am. I have my own computer in my room too, but it's in the corner so you can easily see what I'm on (not out to parents yet).

16. Words

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah I sorta have this problem. My mom has always walked into my room without knocking, etc. and so everyone in my family sorta learned to do it that way, except my dad who knocks. My computer screen is the first thing you see when you enter my room too, as it's right across from the door. I have to be pretty careful sometimes when I'm watching gay themed movies and stuff. :slight_smile:

On the plus side my computer is totally mine and I have total control over it. I'm using linux and my entire hard drive is encrypted so... there's really no way they can get in. I'm not really *that* paranoid about it, because I don't have too much to hide, but my privacy needs to be respected.

By the way for those of you who have tracking programs and stuff on your computers like the OP I suggest you burn an Ubuntu livecd. (Or any other live Linux distribution with a browser.)
    http://www.ubuntu.com/
    You can boot off this cd into an operating system stored in your computer's memory, so your current operating system (tracking, etc.) has no effect. Also, when you turn off your computer using this livecd, everything was stored in memory, so there are NO traces of anything that you've done, websites you've visited, etc.