1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

finding the courage to come out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bmayne, Jan 31, 2014.

1. bmayne

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    well im a 21 year old in the military, im away from home and my 29 year old boyfriend is at home.(not mine, but that area) and i think im ready to come out. before i met this guy 4 months ago, i had no intentions of coming out. now that i met him and fell in love. i just want to kick down that door. i cant explain it. he is also not pressuring me at all, hes very supportive.

so i texted my sister last weekend and said "call me later, i wanted to tell you something". that way when she called it would be hard to back down. and i ended up telling her, she was surprised, i felt some relief, and wanted to tell more people. but a part of me felt uncomfortable with her knowing, i just felt weird, does this mean im not ready? or just that i have to get used to it?

i want to come out to my mom this weekend, probably the same way. i just need to find the balls to do it. id like my family to meet my boyfriend when i come home next month, so hopefully a month is enough time for them to get used to the idea. i havent told my sister about my boyfriend yet. i told myself that when i come out to someone, i wont tell them that i have a boyfriend unless they ask. i feel like its too much to take in, unless they ask.

any help? on how to do this? or how to find the courage to do this? i just need advice :/
    thanks

2. Moogie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi :slight_smile:

Congratulations on finding a courage to come out. Good job :thumbsup:

I don't really think you are not ready. You probably fell unsecure and a bit weird because you told your sister and you are afraid your relation with her is going to alter. But don't worry. Some time will pass, you will speak with your sister a few times and everything wiil go back to how it was before.

There is this strange overwhelming felling that we get after we first come out to someone, like we've lost something. With next coming outs this felling may come back, but not with a full impact. It gets easier with some practise. Trust me.

So I would reccomend you to not get discouraged. Hope you will be fine :smilewave

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would suggest that you do come out to your mom right away, but then ASK her a bit later if she would like to meet your boyfriend. She may not be ready by next month to do so.

As for your "feeling strange", of course you do; it is normal; don't worry about it, it will pass.

4. bmayne

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    thanks for the advice, im going to hopefully do it this weekend :slight_smile: i'll keep you updated

the weird thing is, i know she will ok with it. she might not already know, and it may be a surprise; but i know she, and the rest of my family will be accepting.

i sorta dont like how after this, i have tons of people to come out to, and im not at home so most of the people i wont get a chance to do it. i almost want to post a pic of me and my boyfriend on facebook, that way, if anyone cares about me enough to notice it, they will talk to me.

5. Moogie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good luck! :slight_smile:

Posting a picture of you with your boyfriend on fb may actually be a good idea, but make sure to tell your closest people first. It's important for them to hear it directly from you.