1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MTF coming out advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Claudette, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Hey everyone!
    I am in the early stages of transexuality, I've accepted the fact (Finally) that I am a woman inside a man.
    I've started to dress accordingly in my free time way more often (every chance I get, make-up only when I have 4+hours lol)

now I'm not entirely sure of how or when I should come out to everyone.. I've only told my mother (thankfully she was very accepting of this) & one friend.
    Do I do it after I'm "officially diagnosed".
    Do I do it after I start taking hormones, and my body starts showing the changes to the point I can't hide it anymore?
    Or before I start taking Hormones?

I appreciate all the advice beforehand, Thank you!:icon_bigg

2. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hormones take a while before they become effective. I guess you could compromise and come out in the early stages. Physical transition first has benefits, but it could be shocking to those not "in the know".

At the same time, you should gauge your ability to "pass", or be seen as female (in your case) before taking estrogen and androgen blockers. That way, you should be able to tell how much work you need to do to pass.

Most people do not look at your medical papers unless they're your therapist or doctor, and most people do not know that much about transgender topics, so I wouldn't recommend that.

3. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Thank you ^^
    I don't really have alot of ability to pass so to say lol (at least I don't think so lol) I may need more experience in make-up first lol

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends what you want. You can pass perfectly to a stranger but it's not going to make much difference to the people you already know, in other words, the people you will be coming out to...it doesn't matter if you look like the perfect example of a woman for a little while there will be a period of seeing you as the person they knew, that is to say, male.

Personally, I told my closest friends and my family, my younger sisters school and my choir before I went full time - dressing and presenting as female - and I don't pass. I gave my mum permission to tell her friends and for her friends to tell their immediate family the day after I went full time and I haven't felt the need to tell anyone else because frankly I'm presenting as female and while it might be obvious that I'm not genetically female, I don't want to give anyone else extra reason to get it wrong.

5. Claudette

Claudette Guest

That makes sense to me, thank you!