1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miscellaneous thoughts on coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gort, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Gort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just as a note: if it seems like there are no actual questions or statements herein, I'm not looking for specific advice or answers or anything here, just looking to work some thoughts out in a place that isn't my head.

So I have come out to my three close friends who live in my city (just moved nine months ago). It went well, and it's been a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. The next major step is to talk to my parents and my sister.

I'm very certain it will go fine. The worst that will happen is that I get a slightly off reaction based on surprise that will be corrected soon thereafter. This is not a problem. But I also work with my dad, thus see him daily and have to force small talk, and have been kind of withdrawn from my parents in general since I accepted myself that I'm gay, and so I'd like to tell them sooner rather than later to rectify that, since I genuinely do like them.

Despite how right it felt when I came out earlier this week, I'm still starting to feel nagging doubts about the process eating away ever slow slightly at the corners. This could be many things. I might be questioning my judgement, as I tend not to trust my decisions and, in general, much prefer to leave things open-ended. It could be a lag in my brain catching up with the reality of the situation. It might be that I'm now starting to consider the obvious next steps, and getting started with sex and dating seems a little daunting at any age, let alone 28. It could be a reaction to things changing so much, so quickly. It could be that I'm not much for sharing personal things, and this has been more personal sharing than I've done in probably the past year, condensed into 3 days. It could be simply that I just haven't slept enough in the last few days and my tiredness is starting to morph into doubt.

I'm still feeling tons better than before I came out, and I don't regret that decision. And, hell, I think of how nervous I was before the first time that I could barely form sentences, and the fact that it even feels like telling my parents in the next couple days is a viable option is something I could barely even imagine as of last Sunday. But it would be so much nicer to head into that on more sure footing. On the other hand, I'm really done with waiting and would love to go back with interacting with them like I'm an actual person again.

The friend I came out to tonight works in mental health, and she brought up that they often talk about the difference between change and transition in her field; change is the external stressor that we have to adapt to, and transition is the psychological adjustments we need to make to adjust to that change. In that sense, it makes perfect sense that we shouldn't expect everything to fall into place immediately. The change may happen instantaneously, but there is still that psychological inertia we have to wait for, no matter how impatient we may be to move forward. Things will sort themselves out as they're ready.

Anyway, I guess the short version is that decisions are hard and feel final and sometimes it would be nice if things seemed more black and white before having to make them.

Thanks for letting me wax philosophical. Now I must sleep.

2. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on your progress!

Just a couple of observations...

You say that decisions are final. I don't know about that... Life is fluid (I guess by definition), and we all keep changing. Our decisions and actions at any given moment are based on our lives at that moment, and, by implication, all our past moments. All we can do is be true to ourselves, to make our decisions out of love and concern not only for ourselves, but also for the ones we love. Sounds like you're doing that. You've done your preflight check; you're ready to fly.

But tomorrow, next month, next year, next decade, your life will be different. Your decisions then will be based on a new reality.enjoy the flight!

And, in a lighter vein, you mention "sex and dating." I'm more in favor of "dating and sex," if you get my drift, but that's me...

Best wishes,

/Ed,

3. Gort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think by final, I mean less "permanently locked in" than "this is something that is happening." Although I'm kind of like that with most decisions, though, I tend to over-intellectualise things. I'm one of those guys that spends WAY more time at the movie rental place than is necessary.

But yeah, you're right. To flog the flight metaphor to death, just because one has booked the flight and the destination seems right, it doesn't necessarily ease the fear that, however unlikely, the plane's wings might fall off, and that the flight attendants won't stop coming by to say "ARE YOU SURE YOU DON'T WANT TO RENT THE HEADPHONES?" And then the flight is over and the airport is kind of busy and overwhelming but you forget all of it soon enough and get on with whatever at your destination.

Anyway, like I said, I wanted to hash out some thoughts and that was helpful. With a night's sleep my head is a little clearer. The unknown future is a little scary at the same time as being exciting, but you have to just roll with it.

And, okay, the order wasn't the most important thing there. Perhaps "sex; dating" was more the appropriate phrasing.

4. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think most of use tend to over-intellectualize things. That's part of what's put us in our current dilemmas. We had to intellectualize, because it was to dangerous to let ourselves feel.
    OK. You've officially flogged the metaphor to death.
    Maybe. Presentation is everything. Nice chatting with you.

5. The Lost One

Hey Gort,

It really is a roller coaster in terms of emotions. I, like you, feel that once this train has started on its course, then there's no stopping it. My entire family knows and one friend. I plan on telling another friend and her husband in person this weekend. Then I'm sending Facebook messages to a few friends that don't live nearby. After that, I think I'll be done with 'coming out' for a while. I believe everyone will start to find out naturally and my work will be done (I hope).

I hope things go well with your family. Good luck!

6. Gort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yep, that's what I do! I hope that didn't come across rudely (which I realise it could have in hindsight), I just liked the parallels I could draw there. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. And all the best for you, I've read a few of your other posts and I hope all is going well.

Thanks man. I'm jealous you've just about wrapped that all up! I'm apparently super impatient, and part of me just wishes I could send out some sort of blanket message to everyone I know and might still talk to that says "Status update: turns out I'm gay. Please make a note of it." And just be done with it and move on.

I'm actually feeling a lot less uncertain now than I was on Friday night, I think the whole coming out three times was just a tad overwhelming at that point. I actually got invited out to a Flames game at the last minute Saturday night with a few people I know, and I thought it would feel a bit awkward being out to one of them and not to the rest of them (and I don't think I'm quite at the point to casually drop it in a group yet). But actually, it was the first time in ages I've been out for drinks with people when I haven't felt like I'm on autopilot. And I actually cooked food and cleaned my apartment this weekend. I know that a five-day vague-ambition streak isn't exactly something to write home about, but it's the best I've done since November. I'm well on my way to being a functional person again! Moral of the story is even if my brain is stupidly questioning my process, my gut appears to have no qualms whatsoever.

Also, the parents thing did not happen this weekend, after all. I kept trying to figure out a way to meet up with them that didn't sound too eager or contrived and apparently wasn't very creative, and it all started feeling like trying to plan a surprise party for a super suspicious person. I figure I will wait until there is a natural time that I'll meet up with them; I'm in a good enough mood now that I can handle a little bit of anxiety in the meantime.

7. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Didn't come across rudely at all. Just having a little fun. Once you get used to my sense of humor, you'll find it really annoying. Everyone else does. :icon_bigg
    The only reason I'll be mostly done coming out soon is that I have so few real friends. I've been self-isolated until recently. Now I can't shut myself up, and seem to want to chat with strangers. Weird feeling...
    Well, that's certainly one way...

Honestly, I'm just kidding! But I have always (really) thought that if we lose our sense of humor, our ability to stand back and laugh at ourselves, and with others, then we truly have gone empty.

Best wishes. I've really enjoyed this exchange. Let's hang out again sometime.