1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by chivalrous, Feb 1, 2014.

1. chivalrous

I dont know if i should post this here but i thought i would anyways.
    so recently came out to alot of people during my orientation at uni and it went well except for one case where i told my new friend jess im part of the lgbt community and shes was like Whats LGBT?!?!. she had to literally urban dictionary it *i was facepalming the entire time, even her friend knew!! how can you not know who lgbt is?!?!!!!* anyways, anyways my question is!!!

Does announcing your gay draw any other gay people to you. or does it atleast make people come out to you that there also gay. or do i have to go through the annoying process of "looking for signs" and asking

2. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you openly display your sexuality to others, they would be pretty dumb if they did not see this as an invitation. By openly, I mean wearing "I am GAY" T-shirts or a rainbow bracelet or other visible sign. What the results might be would be different for the closeted guy avoiding "guilt by association" versus another out but straight-looking person. You will still be looking for signs, but your own will be posted as "I'm available".

3. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The answer to both your questions, I think, is "yes." For people who are comfortable with their sexuality, it will indeed be a sign, for whatever it is that they are looking for. For people who aren't entirely comfortable, or who are naturally shy (personally, I've always been attracted to to this last type)' you may have to ask--draw them out into the world...

But what do I know? I've never done this before either...

4. chivalrous

Thank you guys this advice helped alot :slight_smile: