1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm afraid of what my family will think when i tell them...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lil legs, Feb 1, 2014.

1. lil legs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I've had this online relationship for near 2 years, and today things got serious, he's my first boyfriend, and i only really started going out with him originally because we were talking about "stuff" and we grew naturally into a couple, today i saw him for the second time, the first we was more just friends to see what it would be like in person, but today, we snogged, and we couldn't stop really, well it was either snogging every chance we got, hugging or holding hands, my problem with that is that i was panicky when other people came along, like walking there dogs, but that'll knock out of me, my issue is that now thnigs are serious, and because it's kind of a long distance, I'm feeling like my parents might ask questions after a while when i see him more and spend entire weekends with him, his mum is awesome, she knows about me and him and his sexuality and just thinks it's sweet her boy has found someone he loves, my mum on the other hand... bassically last year i told my mum I had a boyfriend and it was THE worst thing i've ever done or experienced, she beged me not to pursue my homosexuality and it was a phase, and told me my dad would hate it and everything, this was sometime ago now, and I think she thinks I'm not going to pursue it, they know when i go to my boyfriends hometown but they don't know he's a boyfriend, just a friend, but I know sooner or later my parents will either get curious as i said, or i may have to tell them eventualy, I was worrying today wether they would ask questions about why i go that far to see a friend but they didn't, but they will probably at somepoint... what do i do? I'm thinking of moving out of my parents house, because im 18 with a job, I can kind of manage that almost, but my boyfriend thinks it would be a bad idea, I agree, but it brings me down thinking about the future with my parents either being there but arseholes or not there all together, same with family in general, advice would be great please just on what i should do, best thing to do and everything, I honestly couldn't say i've ever been as happy as i was today with my boyfriend, so i know I should pursue it, but is it right if there's the possibility of losing my family? and if it is right, how should i do it? knowing what my parents are like, I need to tell them eventually, should I look at moving away so it doesn't affect me to much?

#1 lil legs, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  2. PM92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its a hard dilemma to go through so all I can say is that Nobody has all the answers but if you try to be somebody you're not just for somebody else's sake that could be the worst mistake you ever make.

Above all remember that honesty above all else is the most important thing right now..

Best of luck with everything.:slight_smile:

Btw: I know what you mean about telling family... I came from a rather conservative Catholic community in rural Ireland so I held off until I knew I was leaving before I said anything... So much to the point I got so good at lying hah :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#2 PM92, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  3. Emberblaze

Hey man, don't let your parents stop you from being with someone you care about. You can love whoever you please and they have no right to stop you. If they ask, don't lie. If you can support yourself then I'd say just let them know whenever they ask, so if they DO want you out of the house, at least you CAN survive on your own, even if its difficult.

Now, I know you don't want to ruin your relationship with your family, but there could always be that chance that they act a little more acceptng than you think. But if they aren't, its better to be who you are and now who people want you to be.

4. lil legs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thanks for the help guys, glad I know the path i need to take, sucks it's not the easiest but when I'm with my boyfriend it's the happiest I ever am so it's all worth it, I'm thinking of looking for a job near where he lives, then moving down there, would you guys consider that to be a good step to take? thanks

5. Treasury

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey there, I've learned that the path that takes us the farthest and the most rewarding are never ever the easiest.

As PM92 said, honestly above everything else. Don't run around in circles, don't run, because eventually, everything will catch up :frowning2:

I wish you the best of luck! Let us know how it goes!

6. lil legs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thanks for the advice guys, I think if they ever ask I'll tell them the truth, although as much as i hope they ask so i can get it over with, I hope they don't at the same time just so i can do it when i really want, I'm pretty much certain my parents will hate it when they find out though, my brother once said at the dinner table that my dad hates it when he says i'm gay, like tell's my dad I'm gay as a joke, that conversation made me feel so uncomfortable it was unreal, , I'm constantly thinking about what other family members would think, but, I can never really be sure about them, my grandparents are rather high n mighty, as in not neseciarily strict, but they don't like swearing and stuff, but at the same time i think they would support me as much as they can when i come out, a problem is though, my grandad on my dad's side is really ill, has heart problems and stuff, when i told my mum she said it was a bad time because of my grandad, should I take that into consideration to? I'm thinking wether i should time it so he's been in a stable condition for a while or maybe I should wait until he's dropped, im not saying he's going to go anytime soon, but he's so unstable that it's hard to tell if he'll be around in a few years or less than one year.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It's too bad that your parents are not supportive, and it sounds like that your mom as well as your dad, will need their time to come around, and to understand that your sexual orientation doesn't change anything with the exception of who you bring home.

From what you have mentioned, I'm wondering, does your brother know that you are gay and have a boyfriend? If not, would he be somebody who you could come out to, and would he be supportive/accepting?

It doesn't sound like that you are financially dependent on your parents, which is good, however you do want to think about things a bit more. While I wouldn't go as far as your boyfriend saying that it is a bad idea, I would suggest to give it some more thought, and think about the pros and cons - especially if you feel that things could become unbearable for you.

Ask yourself: what is best for you? Where do you see yourself? Do you have any plans of continuing to go to school?

8. lil legs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure wether my brother knows 100%, he's the sort of person to just take the piss and since i carry a few feminine traits which people may use the term "gay" for, he takes the piss a little, when i told my mum, we was in the kitchen and my brother burst in to speak to my mum thne i ran upstairs to my room, my mum shouted at my bro, he went upstairs then she bought me back down, if that isn't clue enough to him that i was telling my mum i was gay i don't know what is, as to wether I could tell him, I've never been sure, he has, or used to have a friend who is gay, I don't know if they still talk but there is that, he is the gangster sort though, I can't tell if he'll accept and support, or ignore, we do get along quite well these days, as annoying as he can be, and i wont say it alot, but as childish as he is, he can be quite mature and caring, compasionate and supportive, as to wether his gangsta persona may over take with regards to my sexuality and wether he can accept that much im not sure. I'm not really thinking about coming out and dealing with any consequences right now, but since me and my boyfriend are becoming more serious and sexual, eventually I'll be sleeping round on some weekends and I don't know wether, if my parents become suspicous, I tell them and accept there may be consequences, or lie to them and make up a bogus excuse, although lieing to them went through my mind alot when i last saw my boyfriend, mainly how long the lie will last, since i spoke to my mum I always worry she'll start bringing it up with me again and i worry that i'll have to tell her since i already told her before, even though she's dismissed it before I can't tell her im straight again then a few months or a year later drop the bomb that i always had the boyfriend? I don't actually go to school anymore moltiva, finished that a couple years ago, I have a full time job now, and although the pay isn't great, if i need to relocate i doubt it will be to hard now to get another job closer to my boyfriend for support and afford to rent a house or flat for a little bit

9. King

It appears like your mother is brushing your sexuality under the carpet, but she may become suspicious of your circumstances.

It is your choice what to do, but your parents may come round to the idea. If they react badly then you have the funds to re-locate. Your mother didn't appear to have reacted negatively to your news, but may be in denial.

If your mother becomes suspicious then it is probably best to tell the truth, or if you have a desire to just tell her now.

10. lil legs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thanks king, I'll see how the future unfolds, I kind of think she might just avoid it and block the fact im gay, I don't really have a desire, I'm just 50/50 as to wether i should tell them before they become suspicous or hold of for as long as possible lol, I'll hold off for a bit then just fast track my plans of moving out on my own accord then tell them then.

11. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She already knows you are gay, she just doesn't like it, and may be in the denial stage, hoping that it is "just a phase", but knows that it probably isn't. You, on the other hand, have the chance to set her straight now, and not start a pack of lies and deception which you are later going to have to reveal you were doing. The lies will hurt more than the truth, because they were avoidable, and the truth isn't. It isn't going to get any easier to do this later; better to go ahead and get it over with and tell your mum that the only reason you are telling her now is because you want to be honest with her, because that's who you are as well as being gay. If she has any good traits as a mom, she will eventually appreciate your honesty and willingness to stand up for what you believe and who you are.

12. peace87

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been in your shoes. I still stress out about telling my grandma who raised me that I'm gay. But to others I can care less. I am who I am. If you found someone you really care about; just be happy. I allowed my family to mess with my head and I lost out on a good guy. I could really kick myself today for losing a nice guy.