1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Issues

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ImagineMonsters, Feb 2, 2014.

1. ImagineMonsters

Out Status:
    Family only
    I could really use some help with this new found issue of mine.

So, a month ago, my family decided to Skype with my 20 year old brother. While we were talking, he brought up the matter of possibly coming back for a month or two to visit. We were all okay with this, and I thought that maybe it would be the perfect moment to come out to my entire family (So far, only my mom knows and she either supports me, or thinks I'm joking), so I was ecstatic. After the video chat, we all started talking about my mom's, sister's, and sister's boyfriend summer trip back home, and where they would stay for a bit, when my fear's became reality. My mom brought up staying with our gay uncles for a day or two, with my brother on the way back, and then vetoed that idea. When I asked why, my mom simply stated, that my brother is a raging homophobic. So yea, that's a road block in my plans.

I really need advice on this. How can I come out to my whole family, even my brother, without backing down and hopefully, not losing my brother? :icon_sad:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I'd tell the rest of your family first and get them on board. At least that way your brother is the backwards-ass fool who can't get with the times, instead of him having an opportunity to convince them that your the backwards-ass freak-basket that everyone should hate.

I know you said you don't want to lose your brother, and I think probably the best way to make sure that doesn't happen is to have a whole bunch of people showing him that actually, he has nothing to be concerned about.

I should point out here, I'm not suggesting you get your family to tell him his opinions are wrong and make him feel like a dick here. I mean he might BE a dick about it, but YOU don't want to make things hostile if you can avoid it.

3. ImagineMonsters

Out Status:
    Family only
    Thanks for the advice. It's given me a lot to think about. :slight_smile: I'll probably tell them this upcoming weekend, so as not to stress anyone out any further with work and school. But I will definitely try this :slight_smile: Thanks xx

4. ImagineMonsters

Out Status:
    Family only
    Recently I told my entire family that I was, in fact, lesbian. My sister asked me why I refused to go on a trip back home, and I told her about my fears about our brother. She is very supportive and assured me that my brother only diliked male homosexuals that flaunt they're homsexuality too much :icon_bigg