1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to brother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by IphisAndIanthe, Feb 2, 2014.

1. I'm seriously considering just sending him a care package with a shirt that says, "I Love my gay sister." I just don't know if this is too informal. Do I owe him a face-to-face talk? I would just be too nervous to tell him directly, although I think he'd be okay with it.

Do you think this would be a good idea?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    " Do I owe him a face-to-face talk"

No you don't.

You don't OWE anyone even the most basic coming out, it's a courtesy you extend not a right they have.

If that's what works for you, go for it, just don't ignore him afterwards (unless he takes it really badly)

3. IJustWantToLove

Hey IphisAndIanthe =)

I think that's a humorous way to come out to him. I don't know what your relationship with your brother is like, though, whether you're really close or not. It might depend on that I guess.

You definitely don't owe him a face-to-face talk, and if you feel more comfortable this way, do it!
    If you feel the need to let him know by "yourself personally" you could always enclose a letter explaining your feelings or something.

Good luck =)

4. Thanks. I just feel like coming out like this is less sincere somehow.

Thanks to you too. We are pretty close, so I hope he'd find it amusing, although I can't really know for sure. We don't really have mushy talks about our feelings, so I think a really serious talk would be a bit weird for the both of us. It's just really hard to know what the best thing to do is.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "I just feel like coming out like this is less sincere somehow."

Sincere as in, 'expressing your true feelings' sincere? Unless you have another sister and left a note saying "Not me, the other one", I can't see that being anything less than perfectly sincere.

It's not sincere 'lets have a cuddle and a cry moment' sincere, but it's still just as good.

6. Thanks. You know just what to say.