1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

They don't believe me

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RabidusRose, Feb 2, 2014.

1. RabidusRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm not out to everyone I know yet, but I'm not scared to come out so that's not really a problem for me. I have straight up said that I am a lesbian, but most people who hear me say it don't believe me? It always takes so much convincing to get people to believe me! My parents finally understand and accept it and never bring it up, and a few of my closest friends believed me right away, but anyone else who hears that I'm gay doesn't believe it. I just don't get it! :dry:

2. ba92

Out Status:
    A few people
    Finally, Someone that understands my struggle. I've been going through that every time I tell someone I'm bisexual. i told my parents and just like yours, they didn't believe me. My advice to you is to not worry about people believing you, that denial is their problem not yours.

3. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Why they don't believe you, in your opinion?

4. RabidusRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    oh good I'm not the only one! and I'll think of that next time I try to convince someone

I have no idea, honestly. I mostly fit into the stereotypical lesbian look, and I've never shown interest in any guys so I have no idea why people don't believe me :confused:

5. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Maybe you have never been in a straight relationship? And the others think you're in a phase?
    However, it's very strange :-/

p.s. I just would to point out it, being androgyne and being a butch lesbian are very different. If you are androgyne, you can't define yourself as lesbian, because you're not-binary. :icon_wink

6. RabidusRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah, that could be the case.

and I don't define myself as a butch lesbian. I feel and act androgynous, and i dress as either gender depending on the day, and I am attracted to females :slight_smile:

7. tanya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have a similar problem--but my situation is more confusing, because I dated men before I knew I was a lesbian.

But the people who really care about me, even ones I didn't predict, have been surpsingly trusting when I tell them...and don't ask for any sort of corroborating evidence, which I appreciate. I guess it's just nice to have these people to make all the other confused and non-believers (who in my case, not sure about yours) mostly keep their doubt to themselves (but I can still tell).

Ack. I suppose we can be glad that denial is the result and not anger or other more harmful reactions?

8. confusedandi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My best friend doesn't believe me either, she just thinks I'm going through a phrase due to me being hurt a lot. However, I don't think it's personally against you…I think they just have a hard time accepting things that go against their beliefs or what they've been taught is "normal." My friend has a very religious family so I don't think she quite knows how to compute the fact that I am bisexual, and I try to keep that in mind whenever I get frustrated at her lack of understanding. Just give people time to adjust, yesterday my best friend hesitantly asked me when I began to think I'm bi, so that shows she's still processing ^-^ Good luck dear!

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    When I told my coworker I was a lesbian she didn't believe me she said I didn't even look it I found that weird . I'm a femme though so I get why

10. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Okay, then you could define yourself as "gynesexual" and not "lesbian" (because lesbian means only "a woman who loves women" and you are androgyne, not (completely) a woman :icon_wink

11. femmeinpink

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My mom didn't believe me at all when I told her and honestly I'm not sure why because I've never shown much of an interest in guys or have ever been in a straight relationship. I guess just because I identify as femme and I think people that you've maybe known for a long time are trying to get used to seeing you as not straight? Because I think most people assume others are straight until they say otherwise, but even then it can be hard for some people to understand completely.

12. RabidusRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    yeah denial is easier to deal with than some other outcomes. it's still confusing sometimes though :/

thank you!

yeah I can see how being femme creates that problem.

I've never even heard of the word 'gynesexual' until now, thank you for educating me :slight_smile:

yeah most people assume straight but it makes sense when looking at society. I've never been really feminine (only on occasions where I have to wear a dress and I go full out femme for that day only for the fun of it) and I also never showed interest in guys or girls until high school, but my mom just assumed I was a late bloomer which might have been your case too :slight_smile:

13. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    I bet that most of the people who "don't believe you" are just in complete denial. They likely just think "no, she's not" because for whatever reason they don't want you to be.