1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I had a chance to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ashleyghall15, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Yesterday me and my dad had a talk about how I was and stuff, and he said "You know you can tell me anything, I might not understand it but I can have an open mind and try". That would've been the perfect time to tell him, but instead I didn't say a thing. How do I find the courage to come out to him?

2. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know what you mean. I don't really pay much attention to organized religion, but my parents raised me Catholic and when I was young they had me go through the Confirmation process. At the conclusion of that was a mandatory retreat, and at the end everyone there received a big envelope full of really touching, emotional letters from their parents, grandparents, etc.

My dad is not a very emotional person and we've never been able to really talk to each other about anything personal, but he wrote something that is very special to me and I've often thought that whenever I actually force myself to come out (I really hope it happens soon...) that it will be in large part because of this. I've even thought of doing it in writing as a response to this letter almost 11 years later, but at this point I think it's more likely to happen in person.

Here are a couple of small excerpts:

Anyways, I guess this isn't helpful at all, it just really reminded me of this.

I strongly urge you to take advantage of the opportunity your dad has given you to talk to him about this; some people are comfortable talking to their parents about pretty much any subject but for others it can be difficult and these windows don't open very often.

Go and tell him you've been thinking about what he said, do it in writing, or a video, or however you think will be the easiest. It seems extremely likely that he'll be loving and supportive so don't make the same mistakes I've made and get stuck in the closet for far too long.

All the best! :slight_smile:

3. jargon

Sometimes an invitation like that gives you exactly the opportunity you need to come out to a person, but other times it catches you off guard. What's important here is that your dad seems to have given you a heartfelt indication that no matter what you tell him, he will love you work hard to learn how he can best support you.

Rather than seeing this as a missed opportunity, recognize that the opportunity is still open. If you want to come out to him, remind him what he said and ask him if that still applies. When he says yes (and of course he will) you have the perfect chance to tell him again. Assuming that is what you want to do, just try to be calm and confident, and don't act like its a big deal. That seems to help.

4. femmeinpink

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree with everyone else--you should still take the opportunity to tell your dad. He sounds pretty open-minded and it's great that he opened up the chance for you to come out, which might make it easier on you.

5. Bring it

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As the other people have said, you can mention what your dad said because really, I can't think of any better time to come out than after that. Bringing it back up will get his attention, so you can just say "i'm lesbian," and let him think about it and respond in his own time. Its important to never rush things, and just let people approach things as they see fit.

From the sound of it, your dad will be open minded and accepting, so... Yeah. I hope this helps.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok well first off I just have to say I've had some really good opportunities to come out but I didn't. And the way he said that sounds like he already knows so really it's up to u when u wanna come out.

7. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're feeling like you want to, you can say something like "remember when you said that I could tell you anything and you'd keep an open mind? Well, I've been thinking and there is something..."

8. AaronMed

I haven't read the other responses because I'm too tired to do that, so forgive me if I sound repetitive.

My honest opinion is, I'll bet he already suspects you're a lesbian. He probably doesn't want to ask you if you're gay because that'd be super uncomfortable if he was wrong, so I think he's fishing and trying to get you to say it. My dad did the same thing to me when I came out, and he said he had suspected for over a year!

9. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

Please, don't even worry about it! For coming out, you should be 100% comfortable with the time place, music, whatever. As for it being the perfect chance, it's fine, many more chances come up. I remember I missed about a million before I chose to come out- which I somewhat forced myself to and it didn't go very well causing a lot of confusion for my mom.

I agree with Aaron, it almost sounds as if he suspects there is something up (good thing, bad thing, whatever) so it sounds as if the conversation is still open. Not to mention the whole "tell me anything" is pretty much Go To #1 in the Parenting Handbook so you'll have many more chances if you want to.

A good bridge that I have seen many places is starting a conversation on agreeing or disagreeing on same-sex marriage, but remember to ask for reasons on why they support it. The best case scenario is if they answer, "because people who are homosexual are still people." Or something along those lines, really sets the mood if you have everything else good.

Don't feel rushed to come out, but don't stall either. Good luck with the rest of your life! :grin: