1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mother....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Claudette, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Claudette

Claudette Guest

So.. my mother who I came out to first and foremost.. seems to have some doubt and apprehensions about my identity, and my choice to make a transition...
    originally she was so supportive, but now it seems shes done a 360... even though she looked up and researched a lot online about my Dysphoria.. I can tell when talking to her that she wants me to not transition
    She says it's because she doesn't want me to be picked on or laughed at.. but i've dealt with all that through my entire life, more won't hurt..
    Is this normal? is her doubts normal? my 2 brothers have backed me in my move... and even joke about it(which I'm fine lol)
    Am I worrying over nothing? her support means alot to me..
    Any insight would be appreciated

2. LunarSmile

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly, it sounds as though she is either just worried about your safety, because there are a lot of unintelligible people out there who(m) react in a stereotypical way to what they do not know....as the same with fear... they act with aggression. Or your mom could just be scared that when you get it done, you will regret it. Or she could be like my mom, start acting like she accepts it then when she realizes you are serious, she has a complete meltdown and goes ballistic. Sorry I can't be much of help.

3. Claudette

Claudette Guest

No, its quite alright, your advice did help.. Maybe I am just overly worried about it all.

4. LunarSmile

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    All you can really do is be yourself and be patient. Although you could try to have a day out with her, get a pedicure and go to the mall or something.

5. Cigsmoker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Plenilune!

First of all, kudos to you for having the courage and the bravery to come out to your mother and to your brothers. That takes a lot of inner-strength. Good for you.

Maybe your mother is just a little overwhelmed by what is happening. Try to be in her shoes, perhaps this is happening way too fast and too soon for her liking and she just doesn't know how to wrap her head on the idea. Just try to give her time to fully grasp everything and maybe in the coming days, she will be much more receptive to it and will be back to her supportive ways.
    Also not to mention that she is just worried about your safety. Mothers are naturally a worry-wart but once she sees that you are happier, stronger and more alive because of what you're doing, she will think differently. I think her worries is coming from a loving, motherly place.

Also, kudos to your brothers for being so open-minded and accepting. Not a lot of brothers are like that and its something to be thankful for. Heehee!

I'm not sure if this helps but I hope my words can make you smile a little.

Cheer up, dear!
    Cigsmoker [Sam]