1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sort of accidentally outed myself at school.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Soillse, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Soillse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So in the common room today, I was texting a friend and people were mocking me by saying I was 'sleazing some boy'. I replied by saying I was texting someone called Kate* thinking they'd take from that that I wasn't sleazing since it was a girl. So they started mocking me about 'sleazing' a girl, and being an idiot I replied with ..... "she's straight". Needless to say, since I have real trouble lying I couldn't really dig myself out of that hole, so my only real defense was "it's none of your business". And now, I'm officially screwed, and I have to avoid the rest of my year for a week or two. Any advice?

*made up name so I don't out myself further, but trust me - she has a very girly name.

2. UIOP

Ooh yeah, I see what you mean. However, if you do not want to come out (which I'm guessing based on what you said), then you could turn this situation around and say 'all I was saying is that she's straight so she wouldn't want to sleaze me or any girl for that matter'. Noticing that someone is straight doesn't necessarily suggest that you're a lesbian - you could just have been saying that as in 'she's not a lesbian so why would I be sleazing her?'

Good luck! (*hug*)

3. Gen

Gen

Don't feel bad; I've done that before. Fortunately, I wasn't in the closet at that time, but those I were addressing at the moment weren't aware. At this point, there isn't much you can do, short of turning back time. The more you attempt to make excuses and convince them otherwise the less they are going to believe you.

However, you are correct that it isn't any of their business. You are not obligated to discuss your attractions or personal life with them now simply because that have a strong inclination that you are a lesbian. If they pester you about those things, just ignore them. Go about your days as you normally would. They will only tease you for as long as they are able to provoke a rise out of you, so don't give them the satisfaction.

4. Soillse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks, fortunately nobody really mentioned anything today so it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

5. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

My advice: don't worry about it. It's just some immature joke that people are taking too far. Let's be honest here, what evidence is there that you are Lesbian, none! People are just idiots :grin: Like you said, you didn't hear anyone mention it today, they got their laugh out of it and now they're done with the joke. Just don't bring it up and you'll be fine!