1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One small step

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MAXWELL45, Feb 4, 2014.

1. MAXWELL45

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Last night, I had to return to my church to honor a previous agreement I made. I was just going to go, do it and then continue to take my leave from my church until I figure things out. However, a wee bit of a twist happened. I spoke with a person at my church who has an oath of confidentiality. I knew what I shared with them would be kept private between us. So I disclosed my sexual identity issue with them. This is a huge step for me and I can’t explain why I did such a thing. I know the fire burns so I don’t know why I would need to put my hand in it and see if it is hot. Anyways, I got the reaction that I expected for the most part, but at a lot lower dosage than I thought. It was made clear that they could not condone my issue nor help me with it, but no real hostility as I thought. However, they also told me they thought I was doing the right thing in trying to find out who I am and gave me credit and right to find out. I am not sure what to make out of their reaction, but I think I will not follow up disclosing my sexuality issue with anyone at church. I think it’s best if I let this issue go with my church. I do feel brave and empowered however. I did what I was scared to do and it felt great. Like I took a little part of my life back. I still have no clue to who I am, but I see that this small step gave me a little more incentive to find out.:dry:

2. GayDadStr8Marig

Dude, that's so huge and awesome, congrats on taking a piece of your life back. Speaking from experience, it does get better... not necessarily _easier_ soon enough, but it *does* get better.

As for church, that's our personal choice how to handle it; for me, the church just helps provide structure, the disposition of my soul however is between me and God.

3. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

Wow, that's awesome! The typical "official response" but yeah. Very brave as well :astonished: I wouldn't be surprised if that priest, deacon, whatever brings it up and asks if you still think the same way, I would just lie and say, "Yes, the Lord has enlightened me, praise Jesus." (Other religious stuff) Now onto family and friends!

4. setnyx

that's great ! e.c. can help you figure yourself self out.