1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parent Problems

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by idek1701, Feb 4, 2014.

1. idek1701

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I've been out to myself for a while now, my friends and my sister too and they're all totally supportive but I've recently started seeing this (really cute) girl and I want to be open about it with my parents because I don't feel comfortable lying to them and I don't think it's fair on my girlfriend either and I don't want her to feel I'm ashamed of our relationship or anything. The thing is, my dad 'doesn't get' the whole 'gay thing' as he calls it and has said some quite unpleasant things about the LGBT community so I'm worried about his reaction and also my mum who I think would be more supportive but I'm still not sure. If anyone has any advice on coming out to parents then it would be very welcome! Thanks :slight_smile:

2. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    While I'm not willing to get into a relationship with anyone until I come out (I also think it's unfair to the other person), the fact that you have a girlfriend might make it easier since you have her to support you.

You're not obligated to tell both of your parents at the same time. Would it be easier to just talk to your mom privately and either have her talk to your dad or give you advice on the best way to tell him? Writing a letter is another option if you don't think you'll be able to face them in person.

Regardless of some of the comments your dad may have made, it's entirely possible he'll feel differently when he's dealing with his own daughter; sometimes the situation needs to hit home before you can get a better perspective on an issue. If not, unless he's a real jerk and unwilling to provide unconditional love he'll put your happiness over his personal beliefs, even if he's not thrilled about it.

I think you're doing the right thing by coming out to your parents though; I think staying closeted makes it very, very difficult for a relationship to flourish. Good luck! :slight_smile: