1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out?... help!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by silentsound, Jul 4, 2008.

1. silentsound

Well, I have known that I am gay for about 7 months now. I lately I sort of feel like I would like to tell one or two people, because it is wearing to keep a secret for so long. My question to you all is this: what made you come out? How did you know you were ready?

2. SwissBoy88

I just knew I was ready, I somehow felt the moment was right. I know it sounds stupid but it just happened.
    Nothing "made" me come out. I just wanted to be honest (at least once). Lucky me my friend was really supportive.

3. MeskElil

I haven't formally come out yet, but I'll tell you this: Only tell someone you trust, be it a best friend or a parent who is totally cool with it. And be careful. Don't tell someone who might blow up. Coming out should help your self-esteem and make you feel more comfortable with yourself.
    I'm ready now to come out to my mom's friend who is like my sister, but I'm just waiting for the right moment.
    I found I was ready because I was sure of myself and I found someone who I think will be totally fine with it (all her friends except my mom are gay) and I just believe I'm ready to tell someone.
    I know that probably didn't help at all, but I hope it did some good!
    And if you need ideas, read some of the coming out stories. Some of them are quite funny!
    Good luck!

4. Cool Beans

After I finally admitted to myself that I was gay at the end of the summer last year, I just knew that I wanted to tell someone. I guess you reach a breaking point where you know you can't keep it bottled up inside you any more. That said, find someone who you know will be okay with it and who you know will keep it to themselves; one without the other is bad. After all, someone who accepts you but then tells everyone really isn't helping you, and you don't want to make your first coming out be to someone who ends up hating you, even if they keep it a secret from others.

To be more brief, you really do just know. The fact that you posted what you posted suggests to me that you are ready. So good luck!

5. limepink

Largest city in the second smallest state
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I can't keep my own secrets. Period.
    It was just unthinkable to think about something and not talk about it, so I told someone.

6. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I knew I was ready because I was almost sure, I had thought over the responses people might give and I knew they wouldn't faze me, and I found myself thinking about it more and more, until I just had to tell someone. If you fit some of those things, maybe you're ready :slight_smile:

7. crossfire0159

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm almost to the point where i can't sleep.
    And i am telling my first person when he gets a free couple minutes in the next few days.
    You just get to the point where you need something more than just being comfortable with yourself, you want other people to love you for who you TRULY are.

8. Sam

Sam

Well for me it was just something I knew I was ready to do. I got really depressed because I was tired of hiding but I was also terrified of getting a negative reaction from my family and friends so I just got to the point where I didn't want to do anything and I didn't sleep or eat very much and one day I woke up and thought "this is the day"

When you are ready you'll know good luck!

Sam

9. Gumtree

To put it simply, you're ready when you have figured out the pro's and con's of coming out and have decided that it's what you want to do.

From there you take it step by step until you're on the other side. Everyone has a different method at a different pase, all of which is up to you.

10. Jenni7117

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was tired of pretending to be something I wasnt..It made me feel horrible about myself. So I told my sister, and she was totally cool about it..(I recommend first telling the person you are closest with and go from there.) Then I met another girl that was in the same position and she gave me the confidence boost to acknowledge that I was gay to my friends. I am still working on my family, but it is a process...Everyone's coming out story is different...Feel free to PM anytime if you ever need to talk about it

hope this helped a little...

11. blpate

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For me I am not totally out. I have told one brother and my only sister as well as some really close friends from high school and some that I have met in college. I told my best friend from high school about 8 months ago during my sophmore year. For me, I just felt like I was going to explode inside inside. I was beginning to be depressed and always on edge around everyone. My biggest regret is that I had been drinking when I came out to Meagan (bf from high school). Once I told her it was like a weight was lifted and it brought us closer together. The only caution that I recognize in hindsight is that once I told one person it felt easier to tell more people. (Is that good or bad, just depends on where you are in the process.)

Side note: love the charmed/buffy refs. Swissboy88! :slight_smile:

#11 blpate, Jul 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  12. revolutionrock

Man, I've felt ready to get it over with forever.

I knew the time was right because my friend and I were talking about sexuality at the time. It was perfect. It was so scary trying to do it, but afterwards I felt great and now it feels a little bit depressing to know I'll have to go through it again. But at the same time I almost can't wait. I kinda like the rush. :wink:

Anywho, good luck with whatever you decide. You'll know when the time is right! Trust your instincts. :slight_smile:

13. nickmc

For me it kinda got to the point where I was thinking about it EVERY time I went to bed. I was wishing that I'd had the guts to say something then and planning what I would say and what topics I could bring up etc. I'd felt like I was ready to tell my best friend when I'd finally accepted that I was gay and when I knew that he would be fine with it.... then it was just a matter of working up the courage.

But once you've done it once, it certainly gets easier, because as long as that first person is someone you trust, you can go to them if you need support :icon_bigg

Anyway, best of luck when you DO tell someone (*hug*)

Nick

14. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm guilty of being in the closet myself, but it's getting to be too much of a job hiding myself. I act normally in public, it's not that I'm "pretending to be straight" or anything. Coming out wouln't change my public actions at all. It's just that no one knows who I am, even the people I trust, and that bothers me.

For you, choose the people you trust the most. The people you think deserve to know. If you can, find someone who you know is supportive and come out to them first, then they can help you come out to other people.

15. SwissBoy88

Thanks!

And it's true. Once you've started it gets easier every time.

16. Noah

Yeah, it's very true. Each time it gets easier, until you get set back. Be secure before telling anyone.

17. -Michael-

I have no idea why i came out.
    I came out to one person a year before anyone else.
    I reckon because she was my best friend i knew she help through everything
    and it would only strangthen our friendship.

A year later i came out to everyone else, because being in the closets, means only girls hit on you.

Eeewww.

18. riddlerno1

well, i finally admitted to myself after 10 years of pretending and its got to a stage where i feel something has changed in me and thats why i want to come out. I suppose it does make me wonder even thinking back to a couple of months ago when i would never have dreamed of even amusing the idea of coming out, i now feel its all i can think about