1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dont know what to do

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by XTC1, Feb 6, 2014.

1. XTC1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok so I've read a bunch of the threads on here already and I'm not really finding any comfort in them. So my situation is all my friends are the kind of people that like to make gay jokes and the like ,and my family is extremely religious. I'm really contemplating weather coming out of the closet is a good or bad idea because there is like one other person in my entire school that has come out. I don't really know the guy very well and don't know his story or how it went so my fear is kind of getting the better of me. Any advise?

2. LovelyBunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Get to know the other guy, he doesn't have to be your friend but he might be able to help you a lot more than we can. He should give you some good advice because your in the same school and community.

But over all come out to your family when your ready not because someone else did. It probably took him awhile before he was comfortable enough to come out himself.

+Disregard your family's gay jokes, If there a good family they probably wont continue them when your out, rite now they probably don't think there hurting any body.
    - And religious family life kinda sucks because theyre not gonna want to fiqure out that their son is gay *because they love you and only want a good life and "after life" for you* Just defend yourself and don't let them or anyone else bother you, You know who you are and where you stand in the world.

- BTW remember come out when your ready!

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It would be a good idea to get to know the other person better before coming out to them. When you think about your current circle of friends, is there one friend that you know you could trust and would be supportive?

Before you come out to your parents (if you decide at some point to do so), I would suggest to build up a strong support network, which can consist of friends, support groups (either at school or in the community), teachers, counselors, and other community members. Having that support network in place, will give you something to fall back on if and when you need to.

It will also come down to as to how comfortable you feel with coming out at this stage. When you ask yourself, "Am I ready?" how do you feel about coming out, and being out?