1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confronted by mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by clevername96, Feb 7, 2014.

1. clevername96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I need help with this one because I'm really not sure what's wrong. I'm only out to about 5-6 of my closest friends but I wasn't expecting this to happen. I guess when my phone switched over to data instead of wifi, our data has a filter on the internet for my younger sisters, it notified my mom of certain things I had put into google :icon_redf

She confronted me, asking me if I was gay yesterday. Even though she told me flat out she didn't care and would love me just the same etc etc, I still couldn't come out to her. I completely denied it and talked my way through it. :eusa_liar I think I want to tell her, to be honest, but something is stopping me and I'm not sure what.

What do I do? Why can't I say anything when I know she will be ok with it?

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You wanted to come out on your terms, not hers. Nothing wrong with that. The fact that she said she'd love you just the same is very encouraging, but you come out how and when you want.

3. Kenaria

I have to agree with this. It's not always easy to tell people on their accord, especially your parents. Stay strong though, if she accepts it, don't stress it too much.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Deep breaths, it is going to be fine. (*hug*)

It is totally okay if you can't come out to your mom just yet. Hesitating or not being sure as to whether it is a good time to come out, are signs of not being entirely ready for it. Plus, you never expected this to happen.

The upside is that now you know beyond the shadow of a doubt that your mom will always love you no matter what. Think about what she has said to you, and it is quite possible that it will give you that final piece in being ready to come out to her. She has opened the door for you, and maybe you needed that.

Give it a couple of days. Sometimes next week, say to yourself: I want to come out to mom; and try to gauge as to how you feel. If you feel alright while saying it, try speaking with her.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No matter how supportive someone is, there's always a part of us (for most of us, anyway) that is really fearful of coming out. For one thing, it makes it real. For another, even if we're pretty certain the parent will be supportive, there's the fear in the back of the head that they won't be, or things will change, or something else.

In short, in most circumstances, change only occurs when the discomfort of the current situation is greater than the fear of stepping into something new.

Honestly, I doubt she really bought your denial, which is probably why she said sne'd be fine with it, to telegraph that it's OK no matter what. So you might as well come out and be done with it. It's sort of like ripping off a band-aid; a moment of discomfort, but once it's over, then you don't have to worry about it any more.