1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Bi feels a little like a choice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by R999, Feb 7, 2014.

1. R999

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate when people imply that being gay or lesbian is a choice. Thats messed up.

I'm bi and I feel a little bit like if I chose to date a girl then I AM choosing a harder path. I feel like I would not be able to defend myself if someone commented that it was a choice. I have had a crushes on girls my whole life and I've asked one girl out. At this point in my life I want a gf. But if I meet a girl i like, it will be a choice for me to pursue a relationship while I could also pass her up and wait for a guy who can give me a easier life and babies etc. lol Honestly having a family is my biggest concern. I want a family more than anything, and choosing to be with a man would make that a lot easier.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The important distinction to make when it comes to bisexuality's choice is that action is a choice; attraction is not. Whether you choose to date males or females, the fact remains that you can get a thrill from either one, and in my own case at least, I still like checking other people out regardless of their gender.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your attraction is not a choice. It's an innate capacity.

I would not recommend making easy choices. I would recommend making sound choices. And if being with another woman turns out to be a sound choice, do that. Your romantic and sexual choices are yours and your partner's alone. You don't need to justify yourself to the oppressor.

I have the capacity to love people of many different bodies and genders, but that doesn't tempt me to pick the easy route of being with a woman so that people will think I'm straight. In fact, I'm kind of avoiding that on purpose (more reasons I'd rather date other bisexuals)...

4. Im Just Me

You are attracted to both, naturally, just as someone gay/lesbian is attracted to their same gender. Your attraction is not a choice.
    If someone were to comment on it if you dated a girl, you simply need to know that, yes you made the choice to date her, but you did not make the choice to like her. You don't choose who you're attracted to, and you simply wanted to be able to pursue the person you fell for.

5. Seagypsy

This is so true , it is the actions we choose not the feelings.

The girl I love has a boyfriend, and he doesn't want me involved with her even though he knows she is bi, bcos I love her so much...! But jus bcos I am single doesn't mean I am a lesbian, I am still bisexual! I am a virgin to both sexes but I am still bi and I hope my girlfriend can see that...

6. Bring it

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can't choose whether you are bisexual or gay or straight or any other thing. If you like a girl, cool. If you like a guy, cool.

If family is a big concern for you, you could always consider adoption or artificial semenation.