1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dad is doing it again....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Perrygay, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

This summer has been wierd for my brother and me. Every summer since my parents have been divorced (2000), we've spent at least a month of our summer break in Florida with my dad. But this year, I got a job (30 hours a week) and spent two weeks in Washington DC, so I was only able to take off one week to go to Florida because of my schedule. My brother, on the other hand, didn't get a job and only spent a week in South Carolina with some friends of his.

Anyway, my brother was SUPPOSED to go to Florida for almost the entire summer. But as is usual for my father, he kept pushing his trip back a week, then another, then another...until my dad finally told my brother the he was only going to be able to go the week I'm going. Why would he do that you ask? He's going to California for six months with his wife because their company got some big account out there. Then he told me he was going to fly us out there twice, once in November and another for Christmas. He knows full well that my family is going to New Jersey in November, and that we're spending christmas with my mom's family (which is only fair because we spent last year's Christmas with his). I don't know what he's thinking.

And now my brother is fully convinced that that is what we are going to be doing, but I know neither one of those trips is going to happen, and I told my father that. He'll call us a few weeks before we're supposed to go see him and tell us the trip is off because something came up. Even after this summer and all the other times my dad has done things like this, my brother still believes every word that comes out of my dad's mouth.

Now, another thing is when my father goes to California, nothing good comes of it. Let's just say it ended his first two marriages. And now I'm worried. I'm worried that he's either going to go out there and find a new wife, or stay out there. I got so angry with him that I didn't sleep last night at all, because I know nothing good is going to come out of this trip. I can't take another one of his life changes.

Does anyone have parents that do things like this? Does anyone understand why I'm upset? Because no one in my family seems to understand why I'm reacting like this.

2. paint

But you still love because he's family, and that's why it's upsetting? For me, I want my dad to just find some stability, and maybe continue fighting his alcohol addiction.

3. I understand why you're upset. It seems he's really flaky and always does that; saying stuff will happen then it doesn't at the last minute. It's sad really, but at least you know better.

4. cm25

cm25 Guest

my dad is like that too. He likes to forget about our plans and plan something else right nowbhe has no money ad is in construction. He doesn't get any jobs so I tell him to get a steady paying job at home depot or something like that. The only problem is he is an alchoholic and has 5 DUI's wit no license so I don't think that they will hire him but idk it makes me so mad!! Ugh