1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self-acceptance, step 2 (age gap)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ornoir29, Feb 9, 2014.

1. ornoir29

Hello everyone.

Shortly: I've known I like men since I was 15. Took me ages to accept it. Had a shitty relationship with a man while still in the closet. Fell into a depression, managed to recover from it myself and came to terms with myself (now I know: physically I like men and women, emotionally I'm 90% into men). Met a wonderful man, started a relationship a few months ago and started coming out to my friends, who have been giving me endless support and affection.

---

Now I have a second thing to come to terms with. I've already started the process, but I might use your advice. I am now 25 and my partner is 51. The age gap is very wide, I know. He's young at heart, and for instance much more up-to-date about music, films and technology than I am. In bed he has an incredible stamina and he has friends of all ages. When I am with him I don't feel the age difference at all. Of course there's a physical difference, he could be my dad. But mentally I feel as close to him as I've never been to anyone my age.
    When we started dating and I was completely infatuated, I didn't consider the age factor for a second. I just followed my guts and felt good. The problem is that I tend to overthink and overanalyze things (I'm working on that), and I've had rough times thinking: "is that right? is the age gap too big?". I'm afraid of the day I will come out to my mum, telling her that my partner is one year younger than her. And sometimes I'm also scared of this: what if in 10 years I get bored and he's 61 and maybe doesn't feel like dating anymore?

So I tried to analyze the thing: what if I broke up with him and looked for someone else. First of all, I'm so in love with him that I don't want to look for anyone else. But if I did... you can't really control who you fall in love with. Again, it will be probably someone aged, hum, 47? Or maybe 52. Because: yes, I like older guys. I need maturity of mind, probably because people always tell me I'm much more mature than my peers. The younger person I've had a crush on was 35, and the thing never started because I thought he wasn't mature enough. Also, consider that I grew up with no dad, so my subconcious might actually feel the need of a strong and mature male figure.

I guess this is something else I should come to terms with: I fall in love with older men. Do you guys have any advice on how to manage this thing?

What I've understood is that sometimes I have to switch off my brain and follow my guts. When I first fell in love I had absolutely no doubts about it, because I was carried away by my feelings. Same when we're in bed: there I switch off my brain and I know that I want no-one else between the sheets.

2. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe in love and age should not be a factor when it comes to love. IF you love each other for the right reasons and wanna be together than I am happy for you. I am 23 and my bf is 45. He is funny, full of life and lives in the moment. I am the only one that understands him and his sense of humor. We have so much in common and want to spend the rest of our lives together. Its truly mean to be. Some of my family may not like but that is because the age difference is just different to them.

Now there age gap relationships that can be unhealthy and I even admit that but this is a very common thing in our community and I think it works well for a lot of gay men. Half of the young guys are simply interested in hooking up and I am not into that so I looked for a older guy I could hit it off with because I know a lot of older guys don't wanna sleep around they wanna long term romantic sexual relationship. I am very happy.

3. ornoir29

Same here.

And I agree with you. There's nothing unhealthy about our relationship: we both treat each other like peers, it's not some kind of daddy/son thing. He listens to me and I listen to him. He's young at heart and I'm more mature than my peers, I guess it's a good match.

I admit that what scares me about it mostly comes from the outside...

4. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely agree. I call my bf daddy sometimes and he calls me boy. We just do it in private for the fun of it. I had a father figure growing up so that is not a factor in calling my bf daddy.

5. ornoir29

Well, think that for the fun of it, *he* sometimes calls *me* "sir" :wink:

6. GayDadStr8Marig

There's really only two people's opinion that matters, yours and your bf's. As long as you both are approaching this as a healthy relationship between mature adults, age is irrelevant. Some people are more mature at 25 than others at 65, it's just human nature. As to why you're attracted to older men, some of it could be influenced by not having your father's presence, but I'd say it's much deeper in how you're wired mentally and emotionally. Just go with you heart and keep you eyes open if there are signs of anything unhealthy developing in the relationship so you can work through it. Get you head back into what it is that drew you two together in the first place, has that changed at all? No? Then get going and be happy in love with each other, and if an outsider has a problem with it, just tell them you feel sorry for them being so closed off to being able to receive love.

7. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you love him and he loves you, the hell with what anyone else things! People do sometimes get concerned that an older guy is looking for a "boy toy", or a younger guy is looking for a "sugar daddy". That's clearly not you, and from the sound of it, it's not him either. Let the world see how you feel about each other and draw their own conclusions, but in the end, if the age difference doesn't matter to you two, I'd go with it. Love is too hard to come by to toss it away because your ages aren't close enough.

8. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well said!

9. ornoir29

I fell in love with his positive energy and, yes, I was really struck by the fact that he is more up-to-date than me in many many respects. The amount of new music I've discovered since we started the relationship is huge, not to mention that he introduced me to what is now my favourite tv series. I love the fact that he is a hopeless romantic and that he still believes in love, despite the shit he's been through. His age is never a limit for him and he constantly strives to improve himself. He has great communication skills and has friend of all ages. He's respectful, gentle, honest, smart, tender, affectionate, fun, caring and a good conversationalist. Not to mention that he sings in a band and has an amazing voice.
    Oh, and in bed he rocks my world, I've never had anything like that. When I look him into his eyes I see the world and I know that I want no-one else.

In 6 months none of the above has changed. Quite the opposite, actually: it's getting better and better and he has everything I look for in a partner.

My problem is that I have this horrible tendency to over-analyze things and see problems where there are none. Maybe it has to be considered that I'm in a delicate phase: I'm graduating next month and after that I will need to find a job and change all my life. Maybe the stress of it all is having consequences on my relationship.

Never a truer word. Thanks Choirboy, I will keep that in mind.

10. GayDadStr8Marig

Take a look at what you said for a sec. Your relationship is better today than when you started, and you're moving into a new stage of your life. It's only natural to have concerns that, as you move from getting an education to getting a job and being a responsible part of the workforce, those changes will affect your relationship.

Odds are life changes will affect your relationship -- if you let them.

Obviously you're both mature individuals, that is what has drawn you together. Now your relationship is maturing beyond being in love with each other and you're beginning to negotiate how to reconcile what has been before two independent lives of people in love, to one partnership supported by two loving souls. It's a beautiful thing you have going on! :icon_bigg Sure, you'll probably stumble along the way, step on each others toes, probably not handle some things as well as you could have without the emotion of the moment, but as long as you're both in it with the same purpose there's no reason to think this isn't going to keep getting better for many years to come.

I'm just really so proud of you guys! :icon_bigg :icon_bigg

11. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are only two people in your relationship, and only two that matter. Enjoy what you have today. Don't screw it up by over-worrying about tomorrow.

12. ornoir29

Thank you guys for an amazing support :slight_smile:

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This seems like a relationship that is working for you. and you're right at the cusp of the age where, typically, age gaps tend to matter less. Statistically, the failure rate for age-gap relationships of this large a gap are very high, but there are exceptions.

You've basically mentioned many of the major issues that are likely to be relationship killers in age-gap relationships, and it sounds like, in your case, they aren't a major factor. It's also been a long enough time (6 months) that oxytocin has worn off, so if you're still feeling strongly about it, that's a sign that the connection you're feeling is real.

The concerns to keep an eye on are balance in the relationship. If you are on equal footing, jointly make decisions, he isn't the one calling the shots all the time, and you feel comfortable and capable of being on your own if the relationship ended tomorrow, then there isn't much to worry about. If any of those things are not the case, that's where the relationship starts to look unhealthy.

It's likely your mom will have some objections, and part of her objections may be the age old "What will our friends and family think." And so that's something you'll need to think about in advance. It may not be right or fair, but it's a reality you have to consider. As long as you are OK with ignoring people's judgment, then it shouldn't matter.

14. ornoir29

This thing about oxytocin is scarily true. The same happened with my previous relationship: after 6/7 months, the enthusiasm went downhill and I noticed all the problems the guy had. And there were a lot.

The thing that struck me with my current bf is the age, of course. I've had rough moments thinking about it and I didn't want to discuss it with him, being afraid of hurting him. Eventually I did, and that's what made me feel better. He also worries that this gap might be a problem in the long run, but so far everything has been hunky dory and it wouldn't make sense to reject love for a number. We're kindred spirits and for what I see, our relationship is very balanced (unlike my previous). He really has everything I want in a partner and, most of all, he manages to cheer me up when I'm down (unlike his predecessor).

You're right I need to consider it, but true friends have nothing to say about it, the mantra is "If you're happy and you really love each other, then I'm happy". I've spent 10 years obsessing about what others think, and it's want prevented me from coming out for too long. I couldn't be happier of having come out, I wish I had done it earlier, to spare myself years of doubts, hiding things, and living a double life. Same for him, I guess. I love him, and I will always be attracted to guys aged 35-55. If other people don't like it, what can I do. Many don't like the fact that I'm not straight, what can I do. My granpa opposed to me studying German, because "it's an evil language". People will always have something to say...

And I'm more and more convinced that it's plain WRONG to live by others' standards, especially when you don't hurt anyone.

15. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should read the story of the author Christopher Isherwood and Dan Bachardy:

Everything Armistead: "The First Couple: Don Bachardy and Christopher Isherwood"

Isherwood at 48, an already established author, met Bachardy when he was 18. The story goes on to tell the high and low points in their relationship, some due to the age difference, others to what can only be called the "gay lifestyle" of the time.

The most important part of that relationship that needs to be emphasized here is that Bachardy became his own person, an artist in his own right. There was a period of struggle for him to break through to being his own self, but their love endured. It endured until Isherwood's death...they slept together always, and "intertwined".

16. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might enjoy reading the book "Older Man Younger Man" by Joseph Dispenza. He was the older man in an age-gap relationship that worked. Available in Kindle format also, if you don't want to be seen with the paper book in hand by your mom.

17. ornoir29

I reckon the idea of what love is is kinda limited in our society. Yes there might be problems, but it's not like relationships between age-peers know no problems. And a power imbalance can be found in every kind of relationship.

Since I met my boyfriend I feel "enriched", and he says the same.

18. AAASAS

The age gap is too large to seriously consider a long term relationship. He will be dealing with aging and becoming a senior while you are just becoming a full established adult.

My sister is dating a 40 something year old, she is 27, I will never accept it. He should know better, and so should she. It's impractical and gross. When she is mid-30's he'll be thinking about retirement. It just doesn't make sense.

I know people are going to say love is love, and love is love, but how long can that last, especially when the person you are dating is going to be a senior soon. You are at two different stages of your life for this to be practical.

What if you want to start a family? That will be impossible to do, and you can forget growing old together.

Sorry but people that don't understand the social, economic, physical, and health differences in age, need to realize that love is a two way street.

Also, when you are 50, you should be mature enough to realize this.

In a perfect world where people don't get sick and decrepit as they age, this would be fine, but he is on the brink of deterioration and you are just beginning the downwards slope to an elderly body. Just thinking about the fact that he was in his 30's when you were a baby is creepy enough.

When you are 30 are you going to consider babies potential sexual partners in a couple decades?

19. ornoir29

I disagree with you, WooEE. I can't tell myself: stop liking older men! Stop loving the person you love! If this was possible, I tell you: I would order myself to love a girl my age with a rich family, big boobs, no issues, and possibly someone that my parents like.

But it doesn't work like this. My mum married a gentle and hard-working man who was about 6 months older than her, and who was loved by everybody. He died in a car accident at the age of 29. Life is not perfect, even when you think it is.

And what if this relationship lasts only 5 or 10 years, but makes me live 5 or 10 wonderful years? Why should I not even give it a try? As someone already pointed out: love is hard to find, you don't toss it away when you find it.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I really won't try to change your mind. But, if you allow yourself to say that your sister's relationship is wrong, then she has the right to say that you being gay is wrong. Think think think.

20. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

As much as I want to respect your beliefs they just outrageous. Love is hard to find and if you love somebody and they love you back that's a special thing. Especially when half of young gay guys love to sleep with every young guy who gives them a minute of attention. That is what a unhealthy way of life is A relationship between a 20 year old and 50 year old can be healthier and happier than a couple in their twenties and that is a fact with so many relationships I personally know of including me.