1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this the right approach?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by crossfire0159, Jul 6, 2008.

1. crossfire0159

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am going to tell my friend (A) about my being gay today.
    He'll be the first person I ever told.
    Would sending him a text about wanting to meet and talk like this sound okay?

"Hey (A). It's Chris. Umm, I was wondering if you had like ten or fifteen minutes to talk privately. If you had any time today or tomorrow that would be great!"

2. MeskElil

Sure! That's good. But you know it's probably going to set off some alarms in their head, and they'll say, "Um...sure...is something wrong?" Just make sure you have an answer prepared for any question they might have.
    Keep it cool. And keep in mind that being gay is not a bad thing--don't make a HUGE deal out of it. Just keep cool and say, "I just thought you might like to know..." or "I needed to tell someone, and I thought you would probably understand..." And just keep a cool head.
    Good luck with it, okay?

And by the way, I love the quote in your sig!

3. crossfire0159

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Whew, to thing something i stressed out about so much is over haha!
    I'm meeting him tomorrow right before we begin play rehearsal.

God it's great when stress finally lifts. I think i was more stressed about tracking him down than i am actually telling him.

WHEW!

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this sounds good. As MeskElil suggested, be prepared to answer any additional questions that might arise out of that. Maybe a better approach would be to just to ask if he has some time today or tomorrow and if he wants to get together. Once you meet you could then tell your friend the reason for asking him to get together with you. Take your time when you talk to him. Take a few deep breaths before you start and just try to remain calm as much as possible.

If your friend has said something in the past that has given you an indication that he might be understanding and supportive, you could start with that and take it from there. If not, you could follow MeskElil suggestions.

Good Luck with it.

5. crossfire0159

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I told my friend A today!
    I'm super disappointed in myself because the conversation went like this:

A: Hey
    Me: Hey, man it's really poring out there.
    A: Yeah, so what's up?
    Me: Oh, well... Ha, just something i need to talk about. Oh look at those cute little kids over there.
    Pause.
    Me: Well, I think I'm gay.

He was totally fine and we talked about it, but I could say I'm gay. I had to throw a "I think". I know i'm being tooo critical, but i feel in my mind it's something i am perfectly fine saying.

But we're good. We talked about how he was outed by his mother snooping through his emails, she's a real bitch. And then she made him read "The Twelve Steps for Homosexuality" on how to stop being gay. Then his parents kicked him out.
    He just said that he is open to talk to all the time and all that nice stuff one wants to hear.

I'm just not sure at how fast of a pace i should be moving. I know it's all up to me, but i don't know. I need to sleep tonite and get a clear head in the morning to sort this all out.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi! Congratulations on coming out to your friend. You've made a huge step forward.

Sorry to hear about your friend. It's great that you have someone with whom you can talk about things. This is the first step in building a 'support network' that you might and will need as you continue the journey of coming out to others.

As you said, it is up to you at what pace you want to come out to others and move forward. As long as you feel comfortable and ready to come out to others you should be fine. Follow your instincts on this though. Don't rush it. Sometimes it is better to take your time with it.

Hope this helps!