1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Am I Scared to Tell my Dad?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LongMayIReign, Feb 9, 2014.

1. LongMayIReign

I legitimately cannot find many reasons why I am scared to come out to my dad, and yet it's terrifying. I know he's perfectly fine with it but I almost feel as if I'm disappointing him by coming out and also not doing so fast enough. My mom asked me yesterday when I plan to and why I haven't and offered to tell him for me, but I know that'll kill my self esteem. I just can't pinpoint my fear. I just want the feeling of dread to go away. Has anyone else felt this way where there really was no reason to be scared?

2. Clay

Have you talked to your mum about your fears? Even though they seem irrational, it's ok to be afraid, and she wont think you're stupid if you tell her.

3. Bring it

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is what I was told by another ec member. The scariest thing is the what ifs. What if they think of you differently, what if they don't approve, etc. But if you know that your dad will be fine with it,then you pretty much just have to go out and say it. It takes a lot of courage, but you'll thank yourself later.

4. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't worry too much about that since you are only 14, which is earlier than when most people come out. I'm sure it will work out :thumbsup:

5. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think only you can answer that question. I'm sure there's some reason why you're so nervous, but again, only you can know why. Maybe you two are very close? Daddy's little girl? Talk to your mom about it, get her opinion. Trust thy mother.

6. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I told my mom at 14, but I didn't tell my dad until I was 20- and he was fine with it. I think It's just an irrational fear we sometimes have that dads will be less accepting?

7. casper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It looks like your mom is fine with it so even if your dad would not react the way you want him to react you still have a lot of support from your mother. And I don't know how it is in your family but my mother is the supreme ruler in the family hahaha :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Gort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If it's any consolation, I came out to my parents yesterday; I'm 28, I know full well that my parents have zero issues with gay folk, and I get on very well with them, and I still was so nervous I was literally shaking, and continued to do so for about 10 minutes after I told them even though it went as well as it possibly could have.

I think it's hard because if you care enough about what they think, it would be absolutely devastating if it didn't go well. Regardless of how unlikely that would be, it's still tough to keep your mind off those what-ifs, as Bring It said.