1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grr.. Help?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Andrew, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Andrew

Okay Well, yesterday we had this big picnic at my step-grandma's house. So, I told my sister I was thinking about quitting football. So, once my mom and step-dad come in, my sister shouts, " Did you know Luis is quitting football? " My step-dad gives me this weird look and my mom was like NO he isnt.. Unless he pays us 200$. I was like, uhm she is lying.. But i really want to quit football. I was thinking about sending them a text.. Saying that football isnt my sport, but I want to continue volleyball and be put into Club Volleyball. Volleyball interest me, more then Football.. Any Suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Blaz

Blaz Guest

If they've invested a significant amount of money into football, than I'd just stick with getting through this last season. It'll be much easier on them if you tell them after that it just isn't your thing an that you want to get involved with other sports.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! Talk to your mom about it. Tell her that you don't like football and that it isn't really your sport and that you would rather just continue playing Volleyball. You could also frame the discussion around money, in that you could tell your mom that she wouldn't have to pay for both (if this is the case) and she would be saving some money as well. Try talking to your mom alone and tell her how you feel about it.

Hope this helps!

4. silentsound

I would say don't drop out in the middle of the season. If you just started playing within the last year or two then I would stick with it, but if you have been playing for a while and it just doesn't appeal to you anymore I would try sitting them down and talking to them rationally and honestly. Maybe when they are out of the situation where your sister blurts it out they can see the whole picture and not just their knee-jerk reaction.

5. Andrew

Okay, well I just texted my step-dad and mom this... tell me what you think of it:

Hey mom and richard. I just have to tell you one thing. I don't think football is my kind of sport. I just think its boring and I tried it out again and didn't like it. The major reason I did it was to make you guys proud and show that I am not lazy. But I really want to start playing volleyball 24/7. I think volleyball is more my sport, and football is not my sport at all. I really don't want to continue it at all. About the money. If I worked, I would pay you guys. But if you guys want to take my sidekick away, well that is your choice. Because you spent a lot of money on me anyways. I hope you guys agree with me, because I really don't want to forced into a sport I don't want to play. Richard you don't have to pay those $20. And if it takes to watch the kids everyday with no pay, I am up for that. I just don't like football anymore. Its not about getting hurt, its just I am not that good and its pretty boring to me. Like I said. I hope you guys to get mad at me :frowning2:. I love you guys.

Was the well worded or not? LOL.

6. sexyalex

do whatever floats ur boat darling, who is doing it, you or ur parents?:eusa_eh:

And u don't have to explain yourself ot them. Just tell them ur swithing sports or leaving one to focus on one. It's that simple. If your parents love u for who you are and what u stand for then it shouldn't be a problem......

well not unles ur into football for more than football. Cuz i know guys who join it for scholarships(or their parents force them to do it for that reason) or to get chicks or be popular etc. U must know. But if ur in it for the sport, then do what u must. It's your life, take control.

Alex.(*hug*)

7. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think your text is good. You were honest and this counts for a lot. It is better this way rather than your mom and/or step dad spending money on something that you don't like doing. I hope you will get a positive response. Let us know...

8. sexyalex

and that too:grin:

9. Andrew

My moms respond:

- Fwd: So what do u want me 2 do and i dont think that was right that u made me spend all this money! Im upset u should of thought about things b4 making that decision

--------------

And my step-dad said he'll talk with my mom. Do you think my mom is fine with it. I am soo confused.

10. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like that your mom is a bit upset about the spent money. But it happens. Sometimes we have to try things out first in order to find out whether we like them or not. This is how life goes. Once she has calmed down a bit, talk to her about it again. It's great that your step dad indicated that he'll talk to your mom. Did he say anything to you?

Don't worry too much about it. I'm sure she'll be fine and understand.

Hope this helps!

11. Andrew

Noo he hasn't YET. :confused: grr. I am nervous.

12. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want, maybe talk to him first before talking to your mom again. Maybe you could try enlisting his support when you talk to your mom. No worries. It is going to be alright!

13. Paralyzer

woooo, you'll be fine :grin:
    Cause like, this isn't anything life altering or anything.. just a financial thing..
    Another problem solved :thumbsup:

Gosh, it's not like you're gay or anything...... :grin:

14. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had another thought. Maybe what would also help is that if your mom has prepaid for a certain period, then maybe you could continue playing until that period has come to an end (I think Blaz was getting at that as well). Like this, no money will be lost because you still played and you could meet your mom and step dad half ways. Just thought I'll post it.