1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you know when to do it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by I heart Owls, Feb 10, 2014.

1. I heart Owls

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    How do you know when is a good time to inform your friends and family that you are dating a girl?
    Also is coming out to individuals better than coming out to a large group?
    Thanks!

2. bscott92

Only you really know when the best time is. It came for me when I just had to tell someone. And it's unbelievable how much of a relief it is. I prefer coming out to one person at a time so they don't base their reaction on what someone else might think.

3. UK_guy

Hi I would echo what bscott92 has said and say only come out when you feel the time is right and comfortable for you. I also find it easier coming out to individuals but everyone is different, when you do decide to come out I hope it goes well :slight_smile:

4. lovely lesbian

I agree you know when the time is right for you to tell other people

5. duende84

Up to now coming out to people in my life has not been just random acts. It sort-of builds up to it and then I tell the person. I zone in metally on them days before I tell them.

6. fairyinkcap

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I knew I wanted to tell people, it was just a matter of getting over the nerves. The first time I did tell a few friends, it just felt right in my gut so I did it. I also happened to be piss drunk, which helped.
    Don't come out unless you know in your heart that it's what you want to do, but If you're asking this because you already know you want to come out, your just not sure of the situation in which to do it, I always tell my family news when we're all in high spirits, like just after a nice meal when we're all happy and getting along. As for whether or not to do it individually or in a group, I would say that depends on your relationship with the person, I've found one on one to be more nerve wracking but heartfelt, so maybe tell the people you are closest to individually? Of course when it comes down to it everyone's experiences are different, just do what feels right for you.

7. I heart Owls

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks guys! This is helping.
    I think I'll sit on it for a while and wait for the right time to begin.

8. RedVines

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Idk when the best time is. You will just know. One day it'll just come out whether u like it or not. It will feel weird but it will get easier like saying your name. But don't go up to people and say hi I'm nick and I'm gay haha. But just do it when you feel as if it will break free and you have no option of holding it in. Good luck! And honestly things never turn out as bad as you imagine them, the real pain in the ass comes when you fall for someone :slight_smile:

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey it like this weird phenomenon. When I first joined EC I wasn't out at all and I'd see threads like this and everyone saying 'oh you'll know when you're ready, or the time is right' and I honestly thought it was rubbish. How am I ever going to know. Then gradually over time it just happened and I felt ready. The best way I could describe it that my need or desire for people to know grew and grew and my fear of telling people subsided, not necessarily at the same rate but it did and then I knew I was ready when my need to tell people was greater than my fear of telling them. So I told them and never really looked back.