1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh no, I think I've been outed

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Black Swan, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Black Swan

For me, it feels like being gay is an inherent part of me that I constantly mask behind some kind of hetero-asexual cover up. And sometimes, with some people, I think I let that mask slip because I feel comfortable with them, and I feel like I don't have to act. So I've recently realised that my mask might have slipped far too often around one of my friends from school, and she's started to respond to me like she knows I'm gay.:help:

For instance:

1. She responded to my other friend saying that I "came home with her" like it was some kind of sexual innuendo, which I thought was weird.
    2. She told me that she would date me if I was a man, I didn't know how to respond to something like that and I think she might have realised I was gay from my repsonse (which was slightly hurt).
    3. I was playing some childish game with my other friend which involved bobbing our heads at each other like a strutting chicken, she was texting but suddenly glanced up at us because I think it looked like I was going in for a kiss or something from the corner of her eye.

I hope she's just a silly innocent person but the way she keeps kind of hinting at stuff like I'm gay is starting to worry me. How could I let this all slide? :bang::bang::bang::bang: :help:

2. KiddlesP

I think your mind is just going to keep going around like this this. All I can recommend is to keep thinking to yourself, "so what?"

3. Black Swan

I know, but I'm not ready to come out to my friends yet..

4. KiddlesP

Most things in life cannot be controlled. It is a gift when something is directly of your power. Just make the best of any situation, and say "so what?"

5. sharkpool

i was outed by a friend :/ and although i was not ready and was very upset because of all the situation, it eventually gave me the courage to come out to other friends

---------- Post added 10th Feb 2014 at 08:54 PM ----------

my advice would be to ignore her until she asks "are you gay?" or until you feel like telling her. by no means you should feel pressed to do it if you don't want to.

6. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know you may not have been ready to come out yet, but if she already knows consider it a blessing in disguise. You get to avoid the difficulty of telling her yourself and you know she's already supportive. All good things! :slight_smile:

7. chivalrous

ok most people here seem to be saying, you should come out to her. im going to do the opposite if you dont mind :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. magda szubanski once said "if its safe and your fully supported then come out, else stay in the closet where your safe".

when i was 15 most people my age were rotten when it came to LGBT issues. so i hid that side of me, and let me tell you im relieved i did that!. and now a few years down the path im out to my new friends at uni, and my mum :slight_smile:.

im not trying to say its a bad idea. but if your not ready for it dont force yourself!! trust me!!
    kids between 15-17 are still naive and stupid from my experiences!! if thats the case your most likely better of waiting a few years before they gain a new set of brains or a better personality haha :slight_smile:

Hope this helps. good luck!!!

#7 chivalrous, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014