1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divorce

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by interstella, Jul 8, 2008.

1. interstella

I overheard my mum talking on the phone and I think she might be divorcing my dad. Part of me wants her to divorce the asshole, part of me wants to do something about it, part of me wants to slit my wrists in order to get some bloody attention and part of me just wants to run away from it all.
    As I said above, my dad is an asshole, but I still love him. :help:

2. Louise

Maybe your parents would be happier if they split up. Even if they do divorce your dad will still be your dad and your feelings for him and his for you won't change. Some divorced dads actually make better dads because the weight of responsability is taken off their shoulders and they can get on with having quality time with their kids.

If you really are worried about this the best thing is to be honest with your mum, tell her you overheard her on the phone and ask he if she thinking of getting a divorce. If she gets cross about your eaves dropping just tell you you are sorry but that you are worried and that it does concern you.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Divorce is hard whether you are the parent or the child. We don't like to hurt our kids but sometimes there is no option. Like Louise said, your dad might be a better more happier person without your mom and vice versa. This will benefit you in the long run. Change is difficult sometimes but if it has to happen, good can come from it. I'm guessing that you want your parents to be happy right?

4. LostBoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had a really hard time with my parents divorce
    but i was very young and sheltered from most of it ( It was really bad)
    but now i realize that me and mom would have never been this close without the divorce
    she is so much happier now
    my dad has moved far away and we aren't really close
    My first suggestion would be not to hold everything inside
    you need to vent to someone (mom or close friend)
    and try to shelter yourself from the divorce- parent drama
    the more you know the more upset you get
    and know that things eventually will calm down.

5. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

My parents' divorce was awful. It happened when I was seven, and they told us they were seperating the day before Thanksgiving. It dragged out for over a year, and even after it was finalized they sued each other for years. I felt like my world was ending for the longest time, but actually it was probably the best thing that ever happened to my mom, brother, and me.

My dad was, and remains, the biggest asshole I know. And everytime he pulls another one of his famous stunts, I just think how miserable he would have made all of our lives if he had stayed in our home.

You just have to know that the divorce, and any bad behavior your parents display, has no resemblance on you. It's not your fault that your dad is the way he is, and all you can do is sit back and let him realize that for himself.

6. Malchik89

no slitting of the wrists, believe me. That'll get you attention, but its the kind of attention that no one wants to receive. Yeah my parents first separated when i was 7, my mom like literally just pulled me out of our old house without me knowing what was going on. So then 8 years later, my mom decides for my dad to move in for my sake. So i could spend my years before college at home with both my parents. I didnt really care cuz like yours my dad is an asshole alot of the time, but i still love him. So cuz of my dad staying here, my mom crew unhappy again which i hate. So now she is moving out and leaving my dad behind here while i go off to college. I think its for the best because she's just way more happy that way.

So yeah i think you should just be happy that you're mom is getting away from him so that she can just be happy

7. interstella

Thanks for the advice guys
    I haven't talked to her about it but I'm not entirely sure whether they're gonna divorce or not. Its confusing :S

8. Jebs

It seems to be a trend of asshole-ish dads. Hmmm. My parents picked the absolute worst time to tell me, the morning of my first day at a new school. So I walked to school crying. Honestly, to this day I don't understand why they got a divorce. I guess they did a really good job not fighting in front of us, so the announcement was a huge shock.

The advice that I can give is: if you have any strong feelings about the divorce, talk with someone. Your mom, your dad, family therapist or someone. I made the mistake of holding every sad, confusing, angry emotion bottled up because I wanted to be the anchor for both of my parents, who were taking it very badly (and who wouldn't after 14 years of marriage). Let's see I was 12 at the time and I didn't see any reprecussions from bottling up emotions until I hit 17. But when I did see them, they hit hard and affected me beyond my comprehension. So make sure you talk.

9. Jim1454

Remember that their divorce doesn't have anything to do with you or anything you've done. It's an issue that is between your mom and dad. Unfortunately, you don't really have any control over it either, even though it has a tremendous impact on you.

As suggested above, talk to someone if you have feelings that you need to express.

10. Jonathan

A divorce can be hard to handle, but you'll get used to it in time. My parents got divorced when I was like 3 or 4. People think of divorce primarily in a negative way, but there are positive things that can come out of a divorce too. Going back to my family, my dad got married to my step-mom Cookie and I had two new sisters. My mom got married to my step dad Joe and I had a new brother and two more new step sisters (and in a few years my lil brother Jeremy was born :slight_smile: ) People mostly look at a divorce as the seperation of a family, but because of my parents divorce, I ended up with a bigger loving family then I ever imagined.

If your parents end up not getting divorced, that's great.
    But if they do, don't view it as a completely bad thing because some good will most likely come out of it.

11. EM68

Divorce has nothing to do with children! If you ever feel like hurting yourself STOP and talk to someone. Your parents still loves you and that will NEVER change! My brother is going through a divorce right now and my niece almost hurt herself but called her mom at work and got the help she needed. Now she is a lot better. It was totally devastating to everyone in our family. Just talk to someone if they don't listen go to someone else until you find someone who will listen. (*hug*)