1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Through Letter?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sbl11, Feb 15, 2014.

1. sbl11

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hello Guys!
    I am going on a big school field trip to another state for 1 week. My parents will not be there. During this time, I plan on sending a coming out letter back home. My parents are slightly homophobic and I have trouble talking about personal stuff with them. Hopefully this will give them some time to come to terms with this and have any anger burn out before I seen them. Do you think this is a good approach? To LGBTQ folk who have come out through letter, do you regret it? Also, what are some main points I should add to the letter?
    I know this is my responsibility, and that no one should tell me what to write, but I want suggestions to build off from. Yes, I have seen the coming out letters page on EmptyClosets, I just want some other experiences. They can be good or bad.
    Thanks <3:icon_bigg

2. IG88

I've never came out via letter, but I have wrote my parents a letter describing my feelings because they upset me so much that I couldn't speak to them. It worked, and everything is good.

If you're sure that your parents are going to have a really negative reaction if you did this in person, then maybe doing it through letter won't make their reaction any less negative.

3. duende84

I also want to use this approach. Last week I have already written a "prototype" letter. My idea is also to go away for a week or two and have the letter delivered so that my parents can read it and digest the news. Just dont have the guts to tell them in their faces :frowning2:

4. UK_guy

Hey there I came out to my parents via letter and I personally don't regret doing it as I'm a nervous person and found it easier to write it all out so I didn't feel like I'd miss out anything I wanted to say.

5. sbl11

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    thanks for all the responses guys, I have just finished the prototype as well duende84!
    :grin: