1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared of coming out!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tokyopop916, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Tokyopop916

Tokyopop916 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This has to be the most difficult question I will ever ask anyone. For as long as I have known I have been bisexual and feel it's time for me to come out to my family and friends. The only problem is I don't know how they'll take it.

For some reason I always imagine it will be negative of my family knew my feelings. But I'm talking about people who not only care about me, but have various friends who are gay. In face I have two siblings whose mothers are lesbians and we share the same father. However, this is different. Because I have never outed myself.

I'm the tomboy who loves to play rough and get dirty. But I also like to be spoiled by my father. Not only him, but everyone else has always accepted me for who I am. Now it's time to confess that I'm bisexual.

What can I do to express my feelings to everyone and not have it blow up in my face. This will change how I'm not a little girl, and that I'm blossoming into a young woman. I just love them so much.

2. Sarah257

Hey Tokyo, I can relate. When I told my mom about me liking guys I was scared to death too, even though I knew she'd probably be ok with it. Basically I just sat down one day and said that we needed to talk, and then I told her. It was emotional, but nothing bad happened. Then recently, I told her that my feelings run a little bit deeper than just liking men, that I want to transition as it were. That time I had a little bit of an excuse to help it flow a bit better. This involved looking at clothes in a thrift store. I'll let you imagine how it went. Neither time was easy, and I was scared, but I decided it was just best if I told her. If you feel that they really love and support you, then you should probably be fine just telling them. You could even do it in a fun way like a "guess what I like" guessing game with clues. I did that with a friend of mine and the wacky guesses helped put both of us at ease. However, if you don't want to do it face to face, you can always write them a letter and give to them. I've seen lots of people who have said that they have come out that way. Lastly, there is the long term and more subtle way of going about things. Gradually let things "slip" here and there and let them work it out on their own. Just do whatever works best for you.

3. Tokyopop916

Tokyopop916 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's how I feel with my family. I know they'll be alright, because they have told me about accepting their friends and what not. But it's the nausea feeling you get when you have to take up a great challenge.

That's good! I come from a family who is very straight forward and by the books. In fact my parents are the type of people who very blunt when it comes expressing yourself. Just go other there and show the world who you truly are in life. Well, I hope they'll like this.

Thanks for the reply Sarah. I'll do what I can to make it flow more easily. But I am going to be straightforward with them. It's easier for me just to tell them the truth and allow them to understand more easily where I'm coming from. Then we could still be a very happy family.