1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Coming Out Letter

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sbl11, Feb 16, 2014.

1. sbl11

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hello Guys!
    This is my coming out letter below. I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions you may have. Thanks :slight_smile: Just to note, my family is religious so I tried to add as much religious statements as possible to help them understand that I am not choosing to be gay.

Hello Mom and Dad,
    I have a secret to tell you both. I would have told you in person but fear has gotten the best of me. As your child, I expect you to love me unconditionally. I look up to you both as a form of support and guidance. I am trusting you very much when I tell you this; I am bisexual with a major preference to other women. This is probably a major shock to you both. Ever since about the age of 10, I have tried so hard to be straight. I have tried to "Pray the gay away." I have tried to be in romantic relations with the opposite gender. I have asked God, why me? Honestly, I do not know why God chose me to be homosexual. Please know this is not a choice at all. Over the past year, with the support of my friends, I have accepted my sexuality. I hope that you guys will accept my sexuality in time too. I know I have lied to you guys, mostly mom, a great deal on my "guy crushes." The only crushes I have had since the age of 11 have been on females. Only females. Before the age of 11, yes I did have crushes on guys as well as girls. That's why I label myself as "bisexual with a preference towards women" instead of "lesbian." I apologize for lying, and I hope that you will forgive me mom. I look up to you guys for reassurance and support, and I hope that I will receive that when I come home. Please acknowledge that it has taken a great deal of courage to approach this with you guys. Hopefully this letter will bring us closer as a family, not further apart.
    "Your true colors are as beautiful as a rainbow."
    -Cyndi Lauper
    I love you both forever and always, no matter what.
    (my name), (date)

Ps. I don't plan on coming out to (younger sisters name) until she is old enough to understand. But I will continue to come out to the rest of the family. All of my friends know, and I want to finally be free of this cramped, depressing closet.

2. HarryPotterFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That sounds like an awesome letter, you've explained everything and highlighted the fact that, despite their own personal feelings, you're their child and they should love and support you regardless. I think it's perfect :slight_smile:

3. GayDadStr8Marig

Beautifully written from.the heart. I hope they receive it in the spirit it was written. And yes, you deserve their unconditional love.

4. UK_guy

That's a beautiful letter you have written, all I can say is good luck when you send it and I hope it goes well for you :slight_smile:

5. lovely lesbian

That is really lovely I hope it works out for you.

6. sbl11

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks, I am sending it to them in about a month so Ill make sure to keep you guys posted :grin:

7. the lone wolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's beautiful! :slight_smile:
    Best of luck to you, tell us how it went afterwards! :thumbsup:

8. That's a beautiful letter! :slight_smile: I wish you the best!

9. Smoochies

Smoochies Guest

I really liked your letter and probably your family will like it too! :slight_smile:
    Break a leg!