1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it okay to come out in middle school?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by fullmetalheart, Feb 17, 2014.

1. fullmetalheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm thirteen and a lesbian, I want to come out but I think I'm too young.:confused:

2. sbl11

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hello, I am also in middle school and I have come out to my entire school. No you are not too young. However, when I first came out there was a LOT of gossip about me, but I live in an extremely homophobic area. I was the first person to be openly gay at my school, and people have followed my example. Now there is a good handful of lgbt folk who are openly gay as well. The first 2 months were difficult, but I am extremely happy that I came out in the long run. If you are old enough to accept and realize your sexuality, you are old enough to come out. :slight_smile: Some advice, I suggest you being in your last year of middle school when you do this, because people will generally take it better ( i.e 6 graders generally have more respect for 8th graders than 6th graders do for other 6th graders) (&&&)

#2 sbl11, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  3. AmiBee

Hi, sweetie. Thanks for being so strong and thinking of coming out. I have been an 8th grade teacher for 11 years now. Every year, there are 1 or 2 out students in grade 8. I teach in the relatively liberal Northeast of the US. It's not perfect, by any means, but the out middle schoolers that I've known have seemed relieved to be out. A couple of years ago, there was even a girl-girl.couple at the end of the year dance. I knew that I was gay by the end of grade 6, but it was the 80s and being out was not done. I came out my first year in college. 13 is definitely not too young to know.that u are gay. BUT only you can know if it is safe and comfortable to come out at your middle school. Hope this helps.

#3 AmiBee, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, it's okay, but it's damn courageous.

I knew I was bisexual when I was 14, but I didn't come out of the closet until 16, when I was in my sophomore year of high school.

5. sungoesdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As long as you are comfortable... just make sure that there are no long lasting implications. Maybe come out to a few friends first?

6. AmiBee

Also, just want to recommend the excellent web series that I recently discovered, Out with Dad. It is about a 15 yo Canadian girl coming out. If you haven't seen it, I definitely recommend googling it tonight!

7. Im anonymous

You're not too young I'm actually planning on coming out very soon. And I'm the same age. Also I know somebody that came out at ten or eleven

8. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello, Sweetie. You are an ok age to come out! I've come out to two of my friends, and am thinking of telling more soon. I'm also going to tell my parents this month (I hope) and I'm 11. You're a fine age!

9. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends more on your school and parents than on your age. How will people react if they know?

10. ComingClean

ComingClean Guest

Hi fullmetalheart,
    First of all, don't listen to anybody who tells you that you're too young to know. Or too young to come out. You probably will get people telling you that you're too young to know and come out.
    And you probably will get people asking questions. When I was fourteen, I had my first crush on a girl. People were more curious than anything. Don't take it personally if you get asked a few questions. No doubt some of your peers are trying to figure out their own sexualities. And no doubt your courage will inspire some of them if they are struggling with their sexualities.
    I never came out properly, but like another poster said, gossipers are an issue. But you've got everyone on here to support you :slight_smile:

11. Imsoweird

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you know that you are a lesbian and you want to come out you should do it. I'm still in middle school and I came out to my closests friends yesterday, at my sleepover. I'm really happy now cuz they didn't care that much, except my pansexual friend who became really happy hahaha.

#11 Imsoweird, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  12. softball

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If you think that you are ready to come out, then I say go for it. Makes you a lot braver then me. You are not to young to know who you are.

13. AmiBee

I teach in a middle school. I am so proud of all of you young adults who come out as early as 12-13 yo. It was unthinkable in the '80s when I was in middle school. The times have changed so much and your bravery continues the change for the better!!

14. Pixelbro

Yeah, it really just depends on how others will react, not age. Like my parents will be incredibly angry, so I'll just be hiding in the closet for the next 5 or so years...

15. XTREMEZish

I just came out as gay at school. It isn't easy but was worth it.

16. softsprite

Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out in middle school, as bisexual. I later came out as gay in high school. But ironically, I now consider myself bisexual again and I'm in my mid-twenties. So it turns out the first impulse was the right one! I don't regret coming out so young and I never will. It was hard on me socially but things have gotten a little bit easier (in some parts of the country, at least) since I was your age. Plus, my coming out paved the way for other kids at my school. So I feel like I did a good thing for others, as you'd be doing too if you came out. Congratulations on knowing who you are and being brave about it!

17. WishingOnAStar

Is it better to come out in high school or middle school? I'm an 8th grader. I am not really that popular at my school so I don't see how anyone would care or even how to spread the word.. any advice? I'm ready to come out.