1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to a teacher

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wobbly, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Wobbly

Hiya,

So for roughly the past ~6 months I've been regularly talking to my house leader at school about a few things and now I want to tell him I'm gay, problem is I'm too scared and nevours too. So far only a few close friends know and I do not plan on telling my Mum anytime soon.

Main reason why I'm scared about telling my house leader (who is a great teacher) is that I don't really want to talk much about it, I just want to tell him. It might help with some of the things I talk to him about currently.

I've been talking to my best friend about this and she has agreed to tell him for me if I want her to as I probably won't be able to say those two words (I'm gay), now I'm not sure how I want my friend to tell him, I'm thinking of asking her to just tell him and say that I don't really want Mum to know, nor talk about it that much.
    I completely have no idea what to do about if I should tell him and if so how to get my friend to.

2. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    The best way for you it seems it to just go ahead and say it! Be sure to tell him you want to keep it private, and he shouldn't tell anyone. If he wants to talk about it, just tell him that you would prefer not to.

3. softball

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It is great that you have a friend that is willing to support you by telling your teacher for you. Maybe, you could tell him yourself with your friend there with you for support. He is less likely to talk about it with you in front of your friend and you can still have that support if your nervous.

4. Wobbly

Thanks for the great advice.

A little update, my friend told him last week and I spoke to him a couple days after. I'm not sure why, but it was an amazing feeling when I spoke to him. He also told me about 2 gay teachers at my school (one happens to be my homeroom teacher) and that I can have a chat with one of them, which I'll probably do in the next few weeks.