1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to do it, i don't know..please help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BookWorm, Jul 9, 2008.

1. BookWorm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    ok, i have a very religious extended family and parents who don't accept homosexuals. Like the other day my mom was humming 'i kissed a girl' and she (knowing that i'm gay-friendly not gay) said 'i think i only like that song because of the beat...two girls kissing is just nasty and wrong' and i tried to tell her that there was nothing wrong with it but she, being my mom, doesn't listen. and my father doesn't like the fact i'm in my school gsa.
    one time i went and did a test on some of my aunts and wore my gsa t-shirt from last year and it said "it's all good" and had gay, straight, lesbian symbols. and one of my aunts told me that that is sick that is wrong discuting, ect ect. and the others that were there looked at me weird and rolled their eyes.
    i have between 100 and 200 family members (aunts, uncles, cousins, parents, and siblings included) and out of that bout 200 people, i only know 2 maybe 3 that will accept me.

i was thinking of making a video recording of myself coming out to them with a copy of 'the Bible tells me so' just because that ties in christians against homosexuals and they're all christinans so i thought that might work. or like one holiday be watching it and tell them...i don't know. i need help

#1 BookWorm, Jul 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  2. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Awww, Good luck!
    All the advice I can give you is to be yourself and to be sincere. They will have to listen and they will understand you're beautiful the way you are and that there is nothing wrong with you.
    (*hug*)

3. BookWorm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    aww thanks...i hope that they can accept me, but it doesnt always happen that way...i also hope that (when i feel mroe ready for this) i actaully KNOW how to come out to them...:confused:

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi! From your post it sounds like that it is going to be tough coming out to your family. You've mentioned though that there are two or three members that might be accepting. If you are planning on coming out, maybe it would be a good idea to start with them. Like this, you will be able to build some support within your family which might help you in coming out to your parents.

Although religion can cloud parents' judgments and perception about homosexuality, it is possible that your parents might change their views on homosexuality once you come out to them. It might take a while for them to accept it, come around to it and to change their views and become 'comfortable' with the idea of homosexuality being present within the family but in all likelihood they will with time.

I don't think recording a video is such a good idea. I think it might be better if you talk to them in person. I would not use the bible in that way either. Remember that your parents have come to known a certain interpretation of the bible and what God means to them. You will only be able to change their views over time and by talking to them about what you believe the bible is all about and the fact that it does not mention homosexuality in one way or another. What might help, have some material ready for them, including PFLAG material as well as material on religion and homosexuality.

Given your fears and perhaps doubts as to what their reaction is going to be, I think it is imperative that you build a strong support network, which could include your friends and the two to three family members that would be accepting and supportive of you, before you come out to them. If you feel that they would not accept you at all (the worst case scenario) maybe you could wait until you are financially independent or have enough income to be able to live on your own before you come out to them.

But remember, there is no rush in coming out to your parents or to your extended family. Take your time with it. Only come out when you feel that you are ready and the timing is right.

I hope this helps!