1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learn to come out to somebody

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Somelonelyguy77, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Somelonelyguy77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Before I go, I wanna learn how to come out to somebody.
    When I learned that I was gay I thought coming out was easy, it isn't.
    I still haven't come out to that much people. I want to come out to a friend, to me I think that would give me the boost I need. I mostly want to come out to my crush(I'm in Grade 7)
    , James, or to one of my friends that's a girl, Hailey, they are both really nice and both haven't said anything to offend my sexuality. Now the question is, how?
    I support and love all the answers!(&&&)

2. HarryPotterFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Same, I thought it'd be easy, but it's remarkably difficult. Well, I think the thing is to just say, "Hey, ____, I need to tell you something. I'm gay." I think that's how the first sentence should go, do you think? Or, a lot of people write letters if you can't handle the face-to-face thing.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As you have discovered, coming out can be a bit hard at times, but it helps to remind yourself that it seems that your friends would be accepting and supportive. It will also depend on when you feel ready to share something so personal with others. When you tell yourself: I want to come out to Haily (for example), how do you feel? Your instincts will guide. If everything feels rights, think about a good time, and place where the two of you can talk. Once you have a chance to speak with her, you can try saying what HarryPotterFan suggested.

It can be difficult to say "I'm gay," at first and can cause some additional nervousness. It might be easier to say 'I like guys.'

I wouldn't suggest to come out to your crush - just yet. Coming out can already stir up a lot of emotions and feelings, and having a few successful coming outs will allow you to built up your motivation and self-confidence, which will help you when you come out to your crush.

4. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    First off, it depends on what type of friends. If they are friends that you have just a nice conversation with, and you listen to each other well and enjoy each other's company you should just go straight up and tell the person. A commonly used sentence is pretty much what harrypotterfan said, like hey person, I need to tell you that I'm gay. My friends pretty much joke around and make digs at each other, so I do a series of joke leading up to it me saying it casually. And about telling your crush, maybe you can tell him that you are gay but don't tell him you like him. Seriously, coming out can get both people pretty emotional. If you tell him that you like him before he can get over the fact that your gay, things can get ugly.