1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terrified to come out to friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Eskimoboy, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Eskimoboy

Eskimoboy Guest

I have been in denial for so long about my feelings, and lately I have wanted more than anything to come out and be done with it, but I am terrified to do so, and don't even know where to begin. I've had these feelings for so long, and I'm fairly certain that some of my friends are suspicious, as are my parents. I'm worried because I live in a fraternity house, and thus live with my friends. If they reject the idea, I don't know where I would be able to go to escape it. There are also a few of my friends that I really like, and I'm worried that they would feel uncomfortable even if the rest of my friends accept it. I want to begin getting involved in LGBT at my school but know that once I do, I will either have to come out or get called out for it. My optimal plan is to wait until I move out in the fall, and then come out to a select few people, but I'm not sure if I can wait that long:tears: I don't know if anyone has even been or is in this situation, but it is driving me insane, and always puts me on edge. To make matters worse, I have a few guys I know back home that send me mixed signals (long story), and I'm worried that if they find out before I can tell them myself, they will get spooked and not want to see me. Sorry I'm ranting lol, but this is a very touchy subject, and I have no clue what to do. I feel lost with my feelings.

2. Treasury

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The idea of the world around us as we know it now changing is horrifying to most, if not all of us.

I'm in the same situation as you actually. I want nothing more to be involved and be proud of who I am, but then this heart-clenching fear comes into play and I sulk back to my little comfort zone.

One thing that I'm sure will really help is to come out in stages. Start with your closest friend(s). They are the people that will most likely accept you for your awesome self. Once you have reached that stage, hopefully you will have some newfound confidence to come out to a bigger circle of friends.

Also, you mentioned people that "suspects" something? Well, have they shown any signs of discomfort or hostility? If not, then it may be a small sign that they are welcoming and understanding.

This also helps you because you won't be telling everyone at the same time, and you will also have a few people have your back in case telling your housemates and other friends results in a less.. favourable outcome.

Remember! Work your way up and do it slowly! Build your momentum!

Let us know how it goes!

3. Eskimoboy

Eskimoboy Guest

Yes Treasury that is exactly what I was thinking! I have a few very close friends who I know would accept me if I came out, the matter is just timing. I also want to come out to my parents but both are always so busy with work that its hard to time that right too haha. Thanks for the great advice and I hope that you are able to work out your situation as well. I've never thought about anything so much in my entire life!

4. Wildclover

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think you've already received some great advice so I would just comment that your parents will always be busy with work and other activities so there will never be a perfect moment. You'll just have to decide when you're ready to just do it. Of course I'm still very much in the the closet so take my words for what they are. :slight_smile: Good luck and be sure to let us know how it goes once you start having those conversations - it's inspiration to those of us who haven't yet done so!

5. Treasury

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ahaha, thank you very much! I'm trying to find that courage, I know it'll come to me and you soon!

Just keep in mind that once you have the mindset to tell some people, you don't need to go looking for an opportunity to tell them (you don't need to create an opportunity too). There will be so many chances for you to show yourself to your friends :slight_smile:. The hard part is getting into the mindset. It's worth it because once you tell a few people (and if they accept), you now know you no longer need to hide from them. The freedom is absolutely glorious.

Once again, good luck! Let us know if you need any more advice :grin: