1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dear Christ! They've Infected My Sister!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Brett, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Brett

I'm sure that by now, we've all heard "I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry. Well my 9 yr old sister heard for the first time today, and has been saying that it's "disgusting and wrong" all day long........
    It looks like my mom's already gotten to her.......how am I supposed to get her to see that there's nothing wrong with being gay??? She's the only chance I have for support in my household, and I'd rather not lose her........

2. sexyalex

don't.....

durr. let her rant about it brett, she is NINNNE :lol: She will get older soon, wiser and more understanding....not to meantion actually kiss a girl herself. Gosh idk any girl in my clas who hasn't and they all claim they bash homosexuality :dry: f**kin hypocrits:dry:

:grin:

3. LOVEjames

I have to disagree with Alex. You should talk with her about it, and explain that it's not gross and wrong. If a kid is taught something by their parents their entire life, even if they get older and wise or whatnot, there's still a good chance that they'll follow what their parents think, especially if they crave their parents attention and approval. I think that you should just open her views a little bit, and have her understand that there's nothing wrong with it.

4. Chris

I think LJ is right.

5. Louise

Don't go in for the full frontal attack, this is a sure way to get her to reinforce her stupid ideas.

Ask her nicely in what way is it gross or disgusting. Accept her answer, whatever it is and then counter it with another thought provoking question. If she says something homophobic ask her why love should be wrong between whatever sexes.

Plant little seeds in her mind that will slowly germinate, that love is important, two people that are happy together and make each other happy can't be wrong, who says it is wrong, wrong by whose standards, etc.

Try to counter everything she says with a reasoned argument which will get her thinking. Don't expect miracles all at once, siblings hate to admit that they are wrong especially to other siblings but your words will make her think.

Do you have a close relationship with your sister? Most nine year olds simply parrot what they have heard without really thinking about what they say and what the words REALLY mean. For all you know she might find kissing yukky in general be it boys or girls it would fit her age range.

6. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I agree with Louise. Appeal to her logic and help her to see that if it isn't harming anyone, why is it wrong? When I was about 4 and I first heard what being gay meant, I was like "ugh". But that was just a gut response because I thought all sex was icky then. So these responses can be stopped if you get to them early enough.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, talk to her about it in words easy for a 9 year old to understand. Just tell her that some people fall in love with people the opposite sex and some people fall in love with people their own sex. It should be as simple as that!

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, I've been saying it's "disgusting and wrong" for months now.

...wait - are we still talking about the song?

Lex

9. Beebo

hahahah ^

Brett.. I'm sorry about that sir, it's an awkward position, because you are teaching your sister (the daughter of your parents) something that your parents dissagree with.

Listen to the EC Mamas on this one.

10. Brett

Thank you everyone for your advice! Especially you "EC mamas"........
    I really apreciate the advice, but I have one more concern, what if she asks me if I'M gay? I don't think that she's really old enough for me to come out to.....and she can't keep a secret, but I hate to lie to her............

PS: Thank you Lex for royaly confusing me.....aren't you suppsoed to be the helpfull Gargoyle???

11. Sam

Sam

Don't yell at her or attack her in any way but talk to her in a way she can understand. Kind of like just offering your opinion on the subject and just tell her how you feel. you are older then her and she probably looks up to you so when you show her that you don't think its disgusting maybe she will start to think huh maybe its not so bad.